Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cost effective way 2 upgrade 2 computers 2 Win 7?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 7, 2012 7:28:45 AM

Most cost efficient way to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit on 2 computers?
I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook(laptop) and a self built PC. I would like to upgrade both to Windows 7 Pro 64bit in as cost effective method as possible.

The notebook (4gb ram(maxed out), Intel Core2 Duo T7300 2ghz, dual 150gb hard drives) came with Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit already installed. (Which was like going back to windows 98 - crash, blue screen, restart, jittery, hard drive hog, etc) But I digress. I'd like to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I think I have an emergency boot disk, but no installation box or disc. Anyone know how an inexpensive upgrade to Win7 pro 64bit would work in this case? Since I want to go from 32bit to 64 bit, can most computers do that? I'd think I would need to wipe the drives clean, do the bios/firmware updates, and install win7 pro 64bit from scratch? Oh, and I know 64 bit helps only if you have more than I think 4gb ram. I heard a firmware or bios has made it possible to now install up to 8gb ram after that update. So I do want the 64 bit if this news checks out to be true.

The PC is a little more intricate. I built the system myself using various parts. I have XP Pro SP2 32 bit installed on a 80gb hard drive. I do not want to keep this drive as part of the new system. I will be replacing the motherboard, cpu, gpu's, getting a 1TB Sata 3.0gbs hard drive for storage and backups. I'm also getting a 120gb SATA 6 gbs SSD. I want to install the OS (Win 7 64bit) on the SSD. So since my OS is installed on a HD which I'm getting rid of, can I still do an upgrade rather than buying a full installation of win 7 to install on my SSD? I still have the XP box for the PC, so I have the key numbers they might need. Anyone know how I'd do an upgrade from an old 32bit OS on an old HD to Win 7 pro 64bit on a new SSD? Just looking to save some bucks and get better performance without paying an arm and a leg! Thanks!

Best solution

a c 228 $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 12:20:04 PM

You motherboard can't just magically handle more ram. If the system specs say 4gig max, then that's it. Install the upgrade advisor and it will let you know what will and won't work in windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor
a c 354 $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 4:01:21 PM

You will be able to use the Windows 7 64 bit Upgrade edition on both of the computers (two different copies of course). Just make sure your systems have Windows 7 64bit drivers for the hardware.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2012 11:17:19 AM

Best answer selected by EddieTripod.
m
l
!