Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling worth it for a 24*7 machine?

Last response: in Components
January 24, 2010 3:22:04 PM

Is it worth water cooling the CPU and the GPU in a 24*7 machine?
Budget-200, amx 300.

More about : water cooling worth machine

a b ) Power supply
January 24, 2010 3:34:54 PM

Judging by the specs on your signature I doubt you would need water cooling. Water cooling is good for situations where air cooling is not enough to keep the temperatures to a sustainable level due to high high voltages used (typically beyond the limit of manufacturing specifications).

As far as 24/7 whether or not it's being used you will be fine with air cooling or water cooling the real question is how far are you pushing your Athlon II x4, and what temperatures is it hitting now. I noticed you did not have a heat sink or cooler listed for your specs on your signature, do you have a non reference cooler (3rd party cooler)?

Both methods are cooling are good for extended periods of times, make sure to get a top rated heat sink/cooler for astounding cooling.

See frostytech.com for rankings.
m
l
January 24, 2010 3:41:07 PM

All the stuff is stock.
I'm thinking of water cooling also because I own a dog. He sheds fur all over the place- my rig is barely a month old, yet the fur and dust buildup has reached the point where Crysis causes the GPU to overheat within 10 minutes or so. Also, I won't upgrade for at least the next 4-5 years, so longevity is also a concern. I've heard lower temps make the chips last longer....
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 24, 2010 3:57:39 PM

Well dust/fur on your heat sink is not a large concern. Dust and fur on motherboards/power supplies/gpus is as they can cause a short..

Get some dust filters for the intake fans you have that will help greatly. Yes lower temperatures make chips last longer but there is a limit to how low. 50c or lower you see no actual life longevity lengthening. Past 50c your life for your chip degrades 1years per 10 Celsius after 50c. So 50c is fine- 55c is fine but 60c/70c/ sometimes 80c can indeed decrease your chip's life (i7 processor is an exception in this case as it can indeed exceed 70c with no life expectancy shortening).

This is not set in stone as every chip is different due to manufacturing defects, hence why some chips over clock very easily while others require massive amounts of voltage like mine.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2010 8:24:35 PM

To prevent dust build up, i recommend buying a cheap HEPA filter and placing it near your PC, its the best dust proof solution. I wouldn't recommend putting filters in your PC as they block airflow and once they get clogged up, they completely block it.
Secondaly, whether your machine runs 24/7 or not doesn't matter, your computer reaches its max running temperature in just a couple minutes after being turned on and it doesn't flucuate unless you put load on it and take it off...therefore running 24/7 on idle will have the same temperatures 2minutes after it starts-up and 1 week of running assuming all variables like ambient room temperature are around the same.

Good air cooling is perfectly fine for stock and overclocks depending on the cooling and overclocks :) 
m
l
January 25, 2010 2:10:44 PM

Is it possible to connect a coolit Omnia GPU block to the Domino ALC sytem?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2010 5:46:12 PM

madass said:
Is it possible to connect a coolit Omnia GPU block to the Domino ALC sytem?

Absolutely not. The ALC is a closed system so adding an additional loop/block will not be feasibly possible. Domino ALC should not even be considered a true water cooling system since it's performance is often overshadowed by the top air heat sinks.

It is an attractive solution for those who do not have the dimensions or appeal for a large heat sink.
m
l
January 26, 2010 2:25:34 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not. The ALC is a closed system so adding an additional loop/block will not be feasibly possible. Domino ALC should not even be considered a true water cooling system since it's performance is often overshadowed by the top air heat sinks.

It is an attractive solution for those who do not have the dimensions or appeal for a large heat sink.

What do you mean by that?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2010 2:52:48 PM

madass said:
Quote:

What do you mean by that?

It is not exactly giving the performance of a real water cooling kit. An actual water cooling kit (runs around $300) can keep an over clocked i7 4.0 ghz+ under 30c under load. The Domino ALC would probably be hitting over 70c-80c easily on an over clocked i7 perhaps even higher. The H50/Asetek LCLC can barely keep the i7@4 ghz at 80c~+ which is a high temperature even for the i7.

The Domino ALC is a closed system with a 120mm radiator, water pump/ cpu block. Often times a top Heat sink such as the Megahalem or any of the top 10 Frostytech.com heat sinks will cool much better.

The 120mm radiator on the ALC is not particularly good for a CPU over clock, the water pump is less then satisfying, and the CPU block is not exactly your high end CPU block. Despite this the Domino ALC, Corsair H50 or Asetek LCLC or w.e it's called are all performing well for what they were designed for, but should never be taken as a real water cooling solution. (Corsair H50/Asetek LCLC are both the same, designed by Asetek.. I am not too sure about the Domino ALC, but that is performing worse then the H50/LCLC)

If you can fit a big heat sink unto your computer setup, I recommend you check out Frostytech.com for their top 10 heat sink list.
m
l
January 27, 2010 7:57:47 AM

Thanks a lot, dude. You just prevented my from blowing off 200 clams.
BTW are the following temps OK?
CPU- idle- 41
load-?
GPU- idle, @ 600 core, 450 mem, 51, 600 core, 900 mem, 65
load- never seen it go beyond 78 (Crysis excepted).
Usual settings- 1024*768, 4xAA, AAA on, 16x AF.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 11:08:30 AM

The GPU is a bit high on Crysis. Consider a rear exhaust fan if you don't have one (80-120mm is fine), which, in my case, took off 15 degrees from my card.
m
l
January 29, 2010 2:08:50 PM

Already have a 120mm in the back, and an 80 in front. Theres a tube on the side which sits over the CPU, a sort of direct input for it. What if I remove that and stick another 80 mm? And if I do that, do I make it suck air in or out?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2010 2:20:49 PM

Best way to cool a GPU is place a PCI-Slot fan right under so it sucks air out of the bottom grills and another fan to suck air out of the rear grill of the card and PCI fan :) 

Or you can take off the the videocard cooler, clean off its thermal paste and replace it with a better one like AS5 or something and put it back on, temps should go down a lot.
m
l
January 31, 2010 11:22:01 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Best way to cool a GPU is place a PCI-Slot fan right under so it sucks air out of the bottom grills and another fan to suck air out of the rear grill of the card and PCI fan :) 

Or you can take off the the videocard cooler, clean off its thermal paste and replace it with a better one like AS5 or something and put it back on, temps should go down a lot.

My case has two vents on the side, one above the GPU and CPU. What if I suck more air in via the CPU vent (80mm, 2000RPM+) and push out air from the GPU vent(80mm, 200+) ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 2:08:48 PM

It might work, you can try, but it can cause air currents to interfere with each other, make sure to monitor temperatures very closely while you try this. However 80mm on 2000rpm is going to be very loud i think.
m
l
January 31, 2010 2:35:06 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
It might work, you can try, but it can cause air currents to interfere with each other, make sure to monitor temperatures very closely while you try this. However 80mm on 2000rpm is going to be very loud i think.

I don't mind the noise- I sleep in a different room. It will also scare my dog. Keep him from peeing on it.

What if I use my front 120, and the two side 80s to suck in air and depend purely on the PSU and the rear 120 to suck air out?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2010 3:00:46 PM

madass said:
I don't mind the noise- I sleep in a different room. It will also scare my dog. Keep him from peeing on it.

What if I use my front 120, and the two side 80s to suck in air and depend purely on the PSU and the rear 120 to suck air out?

I would NEVER rely on my PSU for exhausting. Ever, ever ever. For one the PSU would most likely not even have the ventilation needed to push that much air, second the air it will push is going to be rather warm.

Use at least two 120mm for exhaust in addition to the 2x80mm intakes/1 120mm intake.
m
l
January 31, 2010 4:10:52 PM

Drat....dont have any space for 2 120 exhausts. What if I use the one above the CPU vent for intake and the one above the GPU vent for exhaust, and the 120 in front, near the HDD bays as intake?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 4:25:42 PM

Can you post a picture of your PC, i'll get a better idea of how everything is.

m
l
February 1, 2010 1:29:38 PM

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=6457...

Will this do?
Thers an 80 up front, near the 3'' drive bays. You can see the 120. The side has a circular vent right above the CPU, and a biggish rectangular vent covering the GPU, bit of mobo above GOU and the PCI slot underneath it.
What if I dump the stock 120 to sck out air above the GPU, stick the 80 above the cpu to suck in air, and dump a pir of 120mm Coolermaster Excaliburs in front and at the back?
m
l
!