High temps with hyper evo 212

liveon3

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Sup guys, i just purchased a hyper evo 212 and i have a AMD 960T
i am experiencing higher temps than what i expected. not sure if i was expecting too much from this cooler but i have seen some people on this forum running temps as low as 20C idle... my ide with the stock cooler was right around 38C with the extra 2 cores unlocked.
upon installing the hyper evo 212 my idle temps dropped to 32C with the 960T X4 unlocked to X6 @ 3.7 ghz

so help me out guys, im thinking i didnt put enough thermal paste.... what else could be the cause of these high temps?

i am using ASrock extreme tuning utility to view my temps and to under clock and OC

EDIT : I am only using the stock fan that came with the heatsink

callisto

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I tried to ask in your other thread if these were core temps. I will assume they are. Your temps are too high.

My guess would be the thermal paste. Just put on a very,very thin layer(almost see through). Mine is not unlocked right now and I idle at 17-20.

When I did unlock the cores and raised the multiplyer I still only went up a couple of degrees. Good Luck!

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Use AMD Overdrive for an accurate temp reading of your cores. The ASrock utility gives you the temps around the cpu/heatsink/fan and not the actual cores. When I use ASrock it stays 35c at idle but Overdrive has my actual cores at 17c, all six of them.

liveon3

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
downloaded AMD overdrive, and the temps seem to be reading 0 Celsius under Status Monitor, CPU status each core reads 0 Celsius. im really confused.

@ callisto im not sure that the temps im giving are my core temps i believe it is the cpu/heatsinkfan as chase3567 said, i dont think they are my individual core tems, although i cannot tell you forsure cause i really dont know.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

thats a cold room

another cold room...

For an accurate assesment of your temps use Coretemp and Realtemp.
Compare them.
My temp readings are basically identical when compared side by side.
Anyone reporting temps under or at 20C using an air-cooler have flawed readings or as cbrunnem said a very cold room.

callisto

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Really? I've compared amd overdrive,speedfan, and hwmonitor at the same time and they all say the same thing. I don't know..I keep my house at 71f.

Edit: Just installed coretemp-reads the same 17c right now on all four cores..

cbrunnem

Distinguished

17*c is 63*f which is a cold room in itself and an extremely cold cpu at idle. like i have a nh-d14 one of the best air coolers out there and my cpu idles at 31*c

When i first built the pc i'm using atm it reported cpu temps at 15C.
I knew this was impossible so i updated my mobo bios.
Rebooted to temps of @31C idle!