Sign in with
Your question

4-pin vs. 8-pin motherboard power.

Last response: in Motherboards
May 9, 2010 7:30:25 PM

On my latest computer build I went with the MSI p55-GD65, i5 750, and the OCZ600MXSP.

When building my computer there was a cap covering half of the female CPU port on my Motherboard. Uncovering it revealed an 8-pin power connection - I went with the 4-pin.

Out of my PSU there are 3 fixed cables, a 4-pin, an 8-pin, and a 20+4-pin. The main question is whether or not I should stay with the four pin or just move to the 8-pin.
a c 435 V Motherboard
May 9, 2010 9:14:41 PM

Use the 8 pin if your power supply is a newer model.
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 6:44:37 AM

There is no reason not to use the 8 pin. If your PSU or motherboard only has 4 pin, its not a huge deal. But if you have 8 pins on both, use it.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 8:17:11 AM

Eight pins supply more power to the CPU, which will probably be needed if you intend to overclock. It's best to use the eight pin regardless to ensure stability.
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 1:54:37 PM

oldie and FALCON are correct Although you do not require the 8 Pin connection, even for an overclocked I5-750, (8 Pin connection required for CPU > 125 W) there are some advantages. It lowers the Resistance between V Regulators on the MB and PSU and loweres the IR drop (Power dissiplated accross individual pins on MB).

lmeow - It will not increase the Power to the CPU. The primary reason for 8 Pins vs 4 Pins is to limit the power dissipated at the individual pins on the MB connector and second to reduce the current per pair of wires. The power at the cpu is determined by the Voltage at the cpu and current drawn by the CPU. This would not be affected by 4 vs 8 pins on a CPU under 125 W.
!