Sign in with
Your question

Won't Load Vista.

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2009 7:05:02 PM

Hello, I have a homebuilt system that I've had for a few years now and it's worked fine. But I've run into a problem a while back and can't figure out how to fix it. When I go to turn on my computer, it goes through the BIOS and everything, Gets to the Vista loading screen (little bar with gold things going by with Microsoft Corporation underneath). My monitor will flicker (and my TV that I have connected changes resolutions) But the screen just stays black. The desktop wont load.

When I hit the reset button (turning off the power leads back to the same problem) Everything goes through the bios (get the safe mode prompt too) and eventually gets to the desktop just fine. So my computer isn't broken but this is getting extremely annoying and unnecessary. HALP! thanks.

More about : load vista

a b B Homebuilt system
November 8, 2009 7:24:59 PM

list specs including psu brand/model

top causes:
bad fsb/memory config (ratio etc)
faulty hdd
corrupted windows install
m
l
November 8, 2009 8:48:21 PM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz Kentsfield Lga 775

Ati Radeon HD 4870 512 mb 256 bit Pci express 2.0

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8002GK - Retail

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

I can find the rest if it would help. But those seem to be pretty much be the core of a system.

If it helps I tried to OC but I couldn't get it to boot. But that was a while back and I hit the option to "restore to last known stable configuration" so I thought I was ok.

So I would venture at bad timing/FSB but I dont really know whats good or bad.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2009 11:17:19 PM

One thing to look at in the bios is to make sure the memory timings match the memory specs. It may be autodetecting them incorrectly now which can cause erratic behavior.

Unplugging and replugging all the cables might find a loose connection also.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 14, 2009 3:44:49 PM

I know when I did a bios flash once, I got data corruption which seemed to mess up my ability to log in. You may also boot from your Vista Disc, and run the startup repair option on it. If that goes successfully, then get into Windows, defrag, and maybe run a utility like CC Cleaner or Glary Utilities to check for registry problems, and also run a virus scan, and maybe use spybot search and destroy and malware antibytes to check for any spyware.
m
l
!