Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Overclocking

hoomanium

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

I have tried to overclock my Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 a few times so far. But I usually face a technical problem. Sometimes BIOS screen doesn't show up and the computer doesn't boot. Other times it Blue-screens on me. Could someone please tell me about the right multiplier and voltages I should use for the following rig to reach 4.2 GHz (or beyond that if possible)?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
MB: Asus P5E3 Premium X48
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
VGA: Gefore GTX 460
SDD: Intel 520 120GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB
Liquid Cooler: Cooler Master Aquagate S1

G

mileage WILL vary from one cpu to the other. if your hitting a wall @ 4.2 then back down to 4.0 and call it a day.

that is still pretty impressive!

hoomanium

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
No, even at 3.8 GHz I run into problems. And the reason is I don't exactly know how to change the Multiplier, FSB, and DRAM Frequency relative to each other. Also, I want to know what voltages I need to change and how much I have to increase them.

G

unlink your RAM, keep it separate from your FSB speed.

leave you multiplier alone at 9.5(?)

the two things to look at is Front Side Bus speed and CPU Vcore (well your temps too)

find your base. lower the Vcore at STOCK speed 3.16 GHz until you are unstable. running prime for a half an hour.
if your Vcore now is 1.2 lower it to 1.19 if it passes an half hour of prime lower it again (.01) until it fails then bump it back up.

that is lowest stable voltage.

now raise you FSB by 10Mhz and test in prime for half an hour. if it passes, repeat raising FSB by 10Mhz. fails; raise Vcore .01 and try again. keep an eye on your temps.

wash, rinse, repeat until your Vcore starts getting insane (over 1.3) or you hit close to your target. then run prime for several hours to be sure your stable.

hoomanium

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Is there a reliable software that would allow me to overclock inside OS, instead of going to BIOS every time?

hoomanium

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Is there a reliable software that would allow me to overclock inside OS, instead of going to BIOS every time?

G

no, if you want a stable overclock; you need to get in the bios.

i know it is a long process but if you want the best results; its the way to go.

hoomanium

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
One more thing, I could get a stable 4.01 GHz, with 1.36v CPU Vcore. I did not change DRAM frequency as you suggested. However, my current DRAM frequency is only 861 MHz. Shouldn't it be 1600 MHz?

G

with memory it is Double Data Rate (DDR) data rate transfers data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal; so your data is 1722Mhz. if that is stable then fine. if you have problems then manually change it to 1600 in the bios.

that Vcore of 1.36 is hitting the ceiling of the rated specs*. it would be highly desirable to lower it. but if your cooling is keeping the temps down and you do not mind that it shortens the life of the chip then hey its your rig, good job.

*even if it is within specs, the more voltage you put through a chip the more degradation it will have. it might be fine for years or fail within months.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

its cool that ur clocking (im guilty of it too, ever cpu generation cpu i owned since pentium d has had min 50% overclock minimum) but that extra 200mhz your looking for wont make squat all difference in games etc it will just make noise, heat, lower the cpu's life and make ur power bill worse your most efficient oc will be around the 3.8 to 4 ghz, my 2500k overclocks like mad but most of the time its at stock clocks cos i just dont need the speed, i can run bf3 ultra @ stock speed and i dont do any encoding etc.

Pentap

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hello, recently I had a friend try and help me overclock my computer, I had never tried because I had only ever skimmed message boards about the topic, and found the warnings of instability and shortened millage overwhelming.

This morning, I read this topic thread, and decide that I should start from the ground up, taking looniam's advice
looniam wrote :

unlink your RAM, keep it separate from your FSB speed.

leave you multiplier alone at 9.5(?)

the two things to look at is Front Side Bus speed and CPU Vcore (well your temps too)

find your base. lower the Vcore at STOCK speed 3.16 GHz until you are unstable. running prime for a half an hour.
if your Vcore now is 1.2 lower it to 1.19 if it passes an half hour of prime lower it again (.01) until it fails then bump it back up.

that is lowest stable voltage.

now raise you FSB by 10Mhz and test in prime for half an hour. if it passes, repeat raising FSB by 10Mhz. fails; raise Vcore .01 and try again. keep an eye on your temps.

wash, rinse, repeat until your Vcore starts getting insane (over 1.3) or you hit close to your target. then run prime for several hours to be sure your stable.

but the weird thing is, I was just in my BIOS, before reading this, turning off my computers alarm-wake-up function, and I thought I saw that my CPU's GHz was lower than the stock.

So I go into my computer's properties, and sure enough... the "processor line" says: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz 2.27GHz.

I don't understand why my computer is running at a lower speed... I went back into BIOS, and lowered it to what I remember the stock rate being which was 266*8.5 and I boot up my computer, and it still says 2.27 GHz. I am afraid my computer is damaged or something, can anyone help explain what is going on. and also does anyone know the stock settings for all the BIOS information, is there a way I can restore it to stock?

Here are my specs:
CPU: Core2 Duo E8500
MB: Gigabyte LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX Intel
Memory: I can't locate my memory chips or w/e you call them but I have 4GB
VGA: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
HDD: HGST Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB
Cooling: Yeah IDK how to find this either, w/o opening my case and looking up online, but my case has two, very quiet fans.

G

your BIOS should be set for 266*9.5

and since replying to a ~4 month old thread rarely receives any help because everyone has moved on and you are not the OP; you need to start your own.

Pentap

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hmm, OK, new to this message board, usually new topics of similar/same topic aren't appreciated, figured if I could get the help here, why not.

But I will start another one, per suggestion