Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DVD-ROM drive works one day, not the next.

Last response: in Storage
October 2, 2011 11:50:48 PM

I purchased a brand new Asus DVD-ROM off Newegg a couple months ago, it worked fine for about a week, then, when I installed a new Hard Drive for storage, it stopped working. I uninstalled the hard drive and tried the configuration of when it was working originally, still nothing. Is there something I might have missed?

Let me clarify what I mean by not working:

It is recognized in the BIOS, and I can eject and such from "My Computer", but when I insert a disc, it shows a disc near my mouse, then nothing, no recognition.
a b G Storage
October 3, 2011 10:35:04 AM

Hey

Start with re-seating the cables for the DVD drive. Looks like something could be loose.

Is it SATA? Model info?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 14, 2011 12:57:26 AM

It is unusual for a DVD drive to fail in such a short time they normally last a few years at least. I would try it in another computer to eliminate software problems. You could also try a CD lens cleaner disc. I did once have a new DVD drive come back to me as faulty after only a few weeks and the cause was that the person had inserted a blank CD into it with the little white ring that you find on the top of a stack of new discs still on it, which then fell into the drive.
October 14, 2011 9:53:11 PM

Thanks, Ill try these, and if it doesn't work, I will try to organize a return.
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:49:28 AM

Best answer selected by derangedyeti.
m
l
!