Phenom II x4 970 OC Temps question

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
So I decided to tinker around and try overclocking the processor today. It's a Phenom II X4 970 with a stock speed of 3.5ghz. I took it up to 4 and ran a couple of tests. I do have the Hyper 212 Evo for a cooler.

Prime 95 for 1hr - Max Temp Hit was 49C.
Intel Burn 10 cycles - 55C Max temp on two cores, 54C on other two.

I've read that nothing is going to beat up your CPU like IntelBurn, but I'm not sure. I plan to run them both for longer tomorrow to see how it holds up over time, but based on initial impressions, I think it's stable. Thoughts?
Thanks all!

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend prime 95 or Intel Burn? I'll start one when I head to the gym tomorrow.

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Sounds good. Is there anything I need to worry about running it unattended? As you can tell, I'm new to this :)

I'm guessing if it did crash, it'd BSOD and I'd see it upon my return. I just want to make sure I'm not going to bake it! By the way, I really appreciate the help. I've been studying up, but it is still nerve racking for a first timer

If your processor gets way too hot the computer will shut down. I wouldn't worry about it. Or if you get an error in stability some of the cores will stop running. when it happens to me i notice the temps dont get as intense when one or more cores are not working.

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Thank you.

So, I just decided to spin up BF3 and it shut down shortly after. The temps looked fine, and it was running SUPER smooth up until it happened. I'm assuming this is tied to the OC. I closed out after it crashed, pulled up chrome to search for failure symptoms and every window crashed as well. I just dropped it to 3.9 and going to see if that fixes it. I can only assume the two are related. Thoughts? Strange that the temps seemed fine.

big papa blood

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
The voltage is still at stock, I haven't touched it. Wanted to see how far I could get without adjusting that. Are you thinking it doesn't have enough juice to stay stable?

3.9 is running BF3 with monitoring software beautifully by the way