Why was my i5-2500 (non-k) running at 6.28ghz?

thunder21

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
So today I decided to overclock my i5-2500 (Accidentally bought it instead of 2500k) to 3.8ghz with the multiplier, just to see if it worked. I have a MSI P67S-C43 motherboard, which comes with a control center that lets you OC from Windows. So after I hit a OC profile called "game" it changed the baseclock to slightly above 103mhz, and I changed the multiplier to x38. So then I restart and disabled EIST (I made some other changes but can't remember them atm) made sure my OC worked. It did, and CPU-Z reported the same.

But then after a second restart to re enable EIST and disable the OC (Don't need the extra power atm) my bios was reporting my processor as running at 6.28ghz! I was not too sure if it was real or just a glitch in the bios, but it was reporting that my CPU was at 77°C (usually it runs at 40°-50°) and rising 1 degree every 10-20 seconds. Since I'm still using the stock HSF from intel, my theory is that if somehow my i5 ended up at 6.28ghz, the energy required to do that made it heat up very quickly.

I'm not sure if I can or want to make that happen again, but I'm still fairly curious to why that happened (or why my motherboard told me it was happening).

Solution
My speculation is that the BIOS did not reset the voltage properly and that you run the risk of extreme damage/failure uf you get that voltage again.

OC'ing a non-K processor is extremely risky, and something I'd advise against. Let the native Intel turbo work, and you'll see awhen the processor can handle it. But if you push it manually you most likely brick your rig.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
My speculation is that the BIOS did not reset the voltage properly and that you run the risk of extreme damage/failure uf you get that voltage again.

OC'ing a non-K processor is extremely risky, and something I'd advise against. Let the native Intel turbo work, and you'll see awhen the processor can handle it. But if you push it manually you most likely brick your rig.

Solution

thunder21

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply. As far as a can see everything is back to normal, after hitting a "default" button in MSI Controlcenter it reset baseclock to 100mhz, multiplier to 33, and CPU voltage to 1.2v. Right after I post this I'm going to check my BIOS again to make sure everything is what it should be at. Thanks for the warning too. After looking around a little I thought that OC'ing a non-k processor just meant not going over 4.1ghz. Here are some images from MSI Controlcenter, in case I missed something.

Is my rig safe from exploding now?

2e5614h.png

2nuk83o.png