Asus P5N-D Freezing at start up

Ancientfire

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
So I got this computer about a year ago. It has been working fine until the past couple days. Whenever i try to start it up, it freezes at the ASUS welcome screen
(the screen where it gives you the option to press Delete to enter setup or press Tab to display BIOS POST message)

So far i have attempted to reset the bios by switching the jumpers from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. I've also tried removing the CMOS battery and then switching the pins. Unfortunately i have had no luck. Any help you guys can offer would be immensely helpful.

Thanks again!

Solution
Have you tried using just one RAM module at a time? - Generally when RAM goes bad, you more than likely won't even get a display. Still, I would try to operate with one module at a time just to test.

Another common cause for POST failure is that a device is not functioning properly. Start with the hard drive; disconnect it and power on. If POST is successful, you'll see a message stating either no hard drive or no boot file was found. If this happens, you may have a defective hard drive.

If the problem isn't in the hard drive, try disconnecting all devices, and then one by one, reconnect and power on. Come back with results, and system specs.
Have you tried using just one RAM module at a time? - Generally when RAM goes bad, you more than likely won't even get a display. Still, I would try to operate with one module at a time just to test.

Another common cause for POST failure is that a device is not functioning properly. Start with the hard drive; disconnect it and power on. If POST is successful, you'll see a message stating either no hard drive or no boot file was found. If this happens, you may have a defective hard drive.

If the problem isn't in the hard drive, try disconnecting all devices, and then one by one, reconnect and power on. Come back with results, and system specs.

Solution

Ancientfire

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I removed one stick of RAM and the system booted up just fine.

Now I am no expert on RAM, so since this stick has gone bad. I assume that I am going to have to buy a new one?

Ancientfire

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
So after plugging everything back in, the computer failed to boot again. So i went through checking all the hardware and the peripherals. It ended up being the printer >.>

I didn't know that a printer could affect the computer that much.

Anyway, i added the other stick of RAM back in and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help T_T