DIY RAID HDD SETUP

rajsharma714

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hello,

Originally I was going to build a NAS, but then I realized it really wasn't what I needed.

Problem: I have a huge full HD movie collection created using MakeMKV which is stored on 2x1TB HDDs. I will need to purchase additional HDDs down the road as my movie collection expand and my desktop can no longer house that my HDDs.

Possible Solution(?): I would like to purchase the parts I need to put all my HDDs in a case, RAID them together, connect it to my desktop through USB 3.0 or Ethernet (desktop is wirelessly connected to internet) and be able to watch my movies and keep expanding my movie collection.

How can I make this happen?

Thanks!

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
You need a good RAID card. Depending on type of RAID, card can be expensive. I recommend RAID 5 so you need at least 3 drives. Avoid RAID 0 because if one drive fails you lose EVERYTHING!

Setting up RAID 5 can be time consuming. Also try to get enterprise type drives. Most hard drives are not suitable for RAID.

The best option (and easiest) would be just make them individual drives, no RAID.

rajsharma714

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Thanks for the reply.

How would I go about building a system like this with the drives being setup as individuals? Do I need to install some kind of software or is there some other method?

dealcorn

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Linux has had it's greatest success in the server space where it's software raid 5 is well regarded for it's performance and superior reliability (compared to hardware raid). Grab pretty much any Linux desktop application and you get that for free. If you browse the Ubuntu or Debian user forums, the home folks using software raid 5 on Atom motherboards (with 4 sata ports) are a satisfied bunch. It is confusing to configure (part of the installation) so my first time I redid the installation which wasted 30 minutes. Obviously a cpu that costs more, burns more electricity, and is stronger also works.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Here are the options that I see:

1st Option: DYI -NAS using FreeNAS <-- the solution that refer.

2nd Option get a cheap case with 300W PSU can hold more than 10x HDD
get a SPM393 connects to 5x hdd, now you can have a RAID5/3/10 or 0

then you can connect to eSATA/SATA

If you want to connect as USB3.0 RAID then use this USB3.0 to eSATA adapter

Then you have have up to 30TB of raw storage space

3rd Option: Build a WHS and use this controller S38-PCIe28+SMP3726 (port multiplier) With drive extender you can add more space as needed. You can have up to 40x HDDs

Edit: add 3rd option

TRENDING THREADS