Weird Networking idea.

bleach

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I been playing around with my Network setup. This is what i came up with. NETWORK PLAN IDEA.

-Goals:
-To have a Unmanaged Networked Back-up system, for 3 system(as of now.), however I will be increasing this to 5 or more.(in a month or two.)
-Back-up system CANNOT connect to the Web EVER.(paranoid, so sue me.)

I have two choices for a back-up system OS and software, RESTORE-DC or Windows 2000 PRO with Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server 9.5.8115.

Old Dell GX280 in a new case.(Yes it was a pain.)
-3GHz (overkill, i know but it's what I have.)
-2GB of RAM(I Know.)
-Highpoint Rocketraid 2300
-SATA DVD-burner(spare/old)
-SATA150 80GB MAXTOR DiamondMax 10 6L080M0 (Master)
-4 Western Digital WD10 1TB(Being shipped to me.)

I most likely be putting them in RAID 5, but I am going to look at RAID 10.(yes, the card supports it.)

I don't know if RESTORE-DC will like the SATA RAID card or not.

NETWORK PLAN IDEA.

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Your idea isn't wierd at all, in fact I do this with some of my servers, BUT, you need to know that your backups are working, which is one of the nice things about a managed backup server. Make sure that attic doesn't get too hot or your backup server will melt down, or if the bios is setup to power off on temp, then you don't have a backup server.

Your backup server should never touch the web anyways, unless it is to specific hosts and windows updates, so you're not being paranoid, you're being smart.

Please post updates about your project here. I would like to hear about your progress and answer any questions you might have. Oh, I liked your map of the machine in photo bucket, and on that restore-DC linux system for the backups (or another one), you can install an app called dia, which is a free network diagram application.

bleach

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Good, as long as it possible. Now to go parts hunting, and to get some new cable. :D I live in the attic, but there is storage that i was going, put the Back-up SYS in so it out of my way but close to the UPS for power outages.

Thank for pointing me to that program, it's looks like it will be useful. If you have any links on Networking or anything interesting, can you post them? (Thanks.)

A picture is worth a thousand words. (plus it took me 5 min to draw it up, it would take me all day to type it.)

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Bleace, I need to warn you about APC devices. I don't mean to freak you out, but I have seen them catch fire, so don't stuff that thing in a place where it could cause a disaster if it went up. I'll be on this site, and if you need any help let me know. I'm happy to help.

bleach

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
^If you want to freak me out you, are going to have to try harder. (Plus i Have a CO2 fire extinguisher, next to me.)

The UPS unit I am going after, is this one overkill but cheap.

Liebert GXT2-1500RT120

Attachment.SubType=MAIN

The thing is so big that is going to be next to me, and looked after (Checked, cleaned monthly, and Battery overhaul in a year or two.)

riser

Illustrious
Minor detail:

In order to block your backup from accessing the web, you'd only have to exclude the gateway from the TCP static settings on it. On the flip side, external computers would be able to still access your backup system since nothing is in place to block that backup system from the network.

In other environments two firewalls are used. In your case it probably isn't the route to go though in terms of physical firewalls.

Basically, your backup system is the network. Maybe you would want to put the backup on a different subnet or behind a v-lan if possible? Depending on how you want to run your backup I suppose you could secure it more or less.