Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkster0011

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I just bought a new Asus Ati radeon 5870 and now i'm crashing 2-5 minutes into any game i throw at it. I get a lot of pixeling followed by a loss of signal output and then following the crash. Tried every possible driver combination out there. My PSU is a Corsair 750W so i don't think that power should be an issue.

The only temporary solution i was able to find so far is to reduce the memory/clock speeds which seems to keep the card stable and allowed me couple hours of steady gameplay.

Any idea if this is a hardware issue or is it still the immature drivers?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Pinkster0011

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

I'm running around 40C idle and 65-75 on full load.

Just finished a 3 hour Dragon Orgin's session on full details with no crashes.
Had the clock turned down to 700mhz from 800mhz and memory down to 4500 from 4800.
No pixlation, no slowdowns.

Reset the speeds to default under asus smart doctor and got a crash within 5 minutes of gameplay.
Very weird.

I just got a Sapphire 5870 last week and I'm having similar issues, but I'm pretty sure they are driver related. In my case I just get the driver has stopped working and had to be recovered issue. No pixelation though, even with my clocks at 900mhz core and 1250mhz memory. So it could be a faulty card in your case. There has only been one driver released yet, so I'm thinking alot of these bugs could be worked out with next weeks catalyst 9.11 driver. I would wait till then atleast before returning the card just in case. You don't really want to have to try to get another one unless your 100% sure the card is defective. It would almost be impossible at this point, with the demand as high as what it is.

Pinkster0011

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Ok so i've RMA'ed the card and i've sent it back to ASUS. Got it back today stated that they tested it and everything works ok. So i plugged it back in downloaded the latest 9.11 driver and quess what...same issue again. Running stock speeds i'm getting pixlation and crashing. I tried a different PCI-E slot, different set of PSU cables and i'm getting the same issues. Did a fresh reinstall of Win7 64bit with nothing but sound and video drivers and i'm still getting the same issue. I tried running the card at a higher voltage, no dice. But lowering the clock speeds and running it at 800/1100 seems to make it stable from stock 850/1200. Any kind of overclocking above the stock speeds is even worse. I'm kind of at a loss right now becouse i have no idea what the possible solution might be. I've read that a lot of people are able to overclock the card to 900/1300 out of the box without any problems and i'm having problems running it a stock speeds. Btw temp is in 50-70 range which is way out of the redline.
ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

G

That seems more like a faulty card or a faulty PSU not sending enuff voltage over the 12V line. Whats the cpu, motherboard , ram? And lowering Mhz to make it stable is cleary not a driver issue. Try lowering only the memory and see what it gives and then try lowering the GPU alone and post results of stability

Pinkster0011

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
That seems more like a faulty card or a faulty PSU not sending enuff voltage over the 12V line. Whats the cpu, motherboard , ram? And lowering Mhz to make it stable is cleary not a driver issue lmao Try lowering only the memory and see what it gives and then try lowering the GPU alone and post results of stability

The card was RMA'ed and sent out to ASUS, based on the info i got from the it's supposed to be working correctly.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 3.2Ghz
Mobo: Asus M4A79T
Ram: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
PSU: Corsair 750W

Seems like the GPU Clock speed is the culprit. Lowering the gpu value stops the crashes with the memory clock at the stock lvls. I was able to get it to run correctly at 815/1200 which is pretty close to the stock speeds. What pointed me to the drivers is the fact that once i'm crashing if i'm able to CTR-ALT+DELETE to the dekstop i'm getting the "ATI Drivers have stoped working and recoverd correcty message"

I've also been reading up that the possible cause might be insufficent voltage in the pci-e slot. Can anyone confirm that this might be causing those vid problems? I do agree that looks like power might be the cause but the psu has been rock steady so far running 2 GeForce 8800 GTX's in SLI which have a much higher power consumption then the Radeon 5870.

This driver seems to have stopped all of my problems: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU41-Hotfix-to-improve-Dirt2-performance.aspx Might be worth a shot.

BTW, I am using a Thermaltake 750w Toughpower PSU from 5 years ago. Have you tried updating the motherboard bios and chipset yet? My brother had to RMA his 5850 for the exact same issues that you are experiancing. The only major difference in our setups software wise is that I am now running Windows 7 32bit, and he was still running 64bit. When I first had the problems I was running Win7 64bit RC1. Since then I bought Win7 32 bit OEM. So if you have 32bit to try, that could solve the issue as well. Not sure if it would help or not.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I'm having the same problem with my XFX 5870 XXX edition. The Dirt 2 hotfix doesn't work for me either. The only solution thus far has been to do exactly what Pinkster did - reduce the clocks to 815/1200 (vs 875/1300). Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Pinkster0011

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Cool, i'm glad i finally found someone with the same problem as me. What mobo, psu, memory are you using j_chatelain. I read somewhere that our problem might be caused by the powersave feature that card comes with were it's switching between 150/370 to 850/1200 clock speed depanding on usage. I guess for now all we have left is to wait for the next driver release. Let me know if you were able to find any possible solutions to this.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I've been running the furmark benchmark, and I noticed that the problem occurs when the temps get around 70c at stock clocks. After reducing the clocks to 815/1200, it still crashes at 70c or so, it just takes longer to get to that temp (about 30 minutes).

I happened to have a Zalman VF1000 laying around, so I installed it on the 5870. It would last about 30 minutes at the factory oc of 875/1300, then crash (still at about 70c). The best I have come up with thus far is to set the clocks at 850/1200. I've been running the benchmark for almost an hour w/ no problems and at a steady temp of 60c. My fingers are crossed...

Foxconn A79A-S mobo
PhII 940 @ 3.6
Tagan BZ700 psu
G Skill 2 x 2gb DDR2-800
Win 7 pro 64bit

If you think it could be the power saving(ATI power play) causing the problem then you can try this: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=348152&pid=4198980&st=0&#entry4198980

I tried it first when I got my 3870's two years ago. You can modify a profile to always run the clocks at the same rate. Just remember to copy the stock speeds, and voltage into the middle and lowest power saving settings. It can be a bit complicated and it's getting late here, so if you can't get it to work properly i'll try to help tommorow.(Later today now I guess. lol :) )

PS: Are you both running Win 7 64bit? Have either of you guys tried with the 32bit version of Win7? I've also read that taking out some ram on their mobo may help as well under 64bit. Maybe just try 2 sticks to see what happens. It seems there are people with Nvidia and ATI cards having some of the same issues, according to the windows 7 forums. In both cases it was a "driver stopped responding error". If I remember correctly, this type of error was present when Vista first came out as well. I'll get you some links to these issues tomorrow, so you can compare your problems to theirs.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I don't think my issue has to do with the power save feature, but thanks anyway for the link. Yes, I'm running W7 64 and have not tried this card on a 32 bit system. I've fixed the problem for now by slightly reducing the clocks and installing the aftermarket cooler. Hopefully the next set of drivers will help...

Pinkster0011

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Ok,

So I finally got around to testing the card on a different computer set up (god only knows it was hard to find someone with a case to fit it in!!!) and it turns out that it didn't work on that card eather. Slowdowns, crashes occured right away which proves that the card was at fault.

Which bring another issue that the card was RMA'ed to asus for repairs and it came back with a note from the tech support that it's working properly which it turns out was a lie.

Not sure what to think of asus now....

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

My thought is AMD has had yield issues on these cards since day one. In order not to lose too much money, they lowered their standards as to what is acceptable to release to the general public. The fact the cards run fine at lower speeds means the cards probably work given the right environment, but just barely. Also, the fact the cards run well at lower speeds means a new driver probably won't do squat. The problem is likely a physical problem specific to your cards and not logic related.

Pinkster0011

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Yeah, the problem with those new 40nm chips is well documented. I guess that the only thing i can do now is request a replacement from asus as oposed to having it "fixed" again. I will update what the response from asus will be.

samson57y

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

hey bought the same card was crashing bad after 10 minutes of gaming i just fixed the problem turned up the fan from 50 to 65 did the trick hope this helps u also

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
To anyone still having this problem:

Try OVER-clocking the card.

Sounds illogical, I know, but it's been working for me. I haven't had a crash in over two weeks at 900/1240. Anything higher with the memory clock results in a crash though.

I'd like to know if this works for anyone else...

G

Well with the 5970 1Ghz/1175(Cant do 1200 without freezing, even with extra 1.15v!) with 1.26v/ 1.10 v seems more stable than default settings or 850 @ 1.16v. The cores really need more voltage than 1.04v
Try 1.165v with 850/1100. If its a 40nm problem then we know what to do with the 2 year warranty and ati will probably offer something better in replacement by the time lol
My only game that crashs alot is MW2 this is weird since Crysis runs 5 hrs without issues. MW2 is CPU limited with the 5970 that is pushing 180-200 fps. MW2 can crash after 1 hour,5 min or instantly. If any1 has any idea about CPU oc, since I replaced the 280 with the 5970 , I was able to push the CPU 100 Mhz more without blue screen, really strange!! Could be the PSU pushing more Amps over the 12V to feed the 5970??

G

Well what can i say i have the same problem any game crash instantly, fromnew system build tried vista xp and 7 still no joy tried with all driver versions from 9.8 to 9.12 no joy only crashes in 3d ?tried with just driver and no catalyst still crashes and have to reboot with off button.#
board gigabyte 790fxt-udp5
mem corsair 4 gig 1333 ddr3
psu corsair 850 hdx
cpu amd 965 3.4 gig
windows 7
and xfx 5870
Have tried in another pc and dropped resolution from hd to 800x600 still the same this has to be hardware fault i think,crashes every god damn game from cod4 to tigerwoods crysyis etc cant do didly,but having said that ati drivers never been the quality of nvidia's drivers.
any help would be nice just about to rma to xfx, 2 week wait for it to come back,no doubt will say it is working fine,will do they just bench test it to see if all working no game play with em ,!!!!
seriosly thinking going back to nvidia

G

I call it luck, I sold my 5970 because I was really annoyed by micro-stuttering and the fact that my CPU is really bottlenecking the card. With 5850 I hit 1060 / 1300 stable 1.35v and cooler temps than the 5970, I did not even see a slowdown from downgrading to a 5850 because of my CPU and 1080p resolution and high clocks.I just cant believe how much you can OC these cards , easily get 20%+ perf. boost. I'm happier with a 5850 than a 5970 , no more crossfire issues like games that only detects 1 GPU. Topic, I say it again its all LucK , just RMA the card or if you can get a refund wait longer for Fermi. But I don't think prices will go down because it wont be thaaat fast, 5870 for 379$ is already a bargain, Fermi fits right in the 499$ spot and 5970 will probably be 549$. Dont forget to bump the voltage using MSI afterburner bump to 1.227v~950Mhz

G

Similar problems here as well, I am running a saphire 5870 except this card has 2 gigs of memory instead of 1 for multidisplay. The issue I experience is graphic errors and then lock up. 10.3b preview catalyst driver only made time until crash worse lol go figure. But I saw your post about clock speeds and realized the speeds my clock are defaulted to are 925 and 1225. Lowered clocks to 800 & 1200. About to test and try to recreate crash process. hopefully clock fix will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.