Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 and P6T or i7 860 and P7P55D

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 2:00:21 AM

Hi,

Everyone seems so knowledgeable, and even though I have been doing a lot of research I keep coming back to posts on here to help me decide.

Ok, so I am a bit of a gamer. Love my WoW, and would love to be able to run things like left 4 dead etc. very well on my computer.
The last gaming comp I bought lasted me 5years and the video card fried just the other day. I am looking to buy a computer that is advanced enough to last me a few good years (like my last one), with room to upgrade if neccissary, and would love the price to stay under control.
I also would like it to run well with Adobe CS5. Doesn't need to be the best of the best, but I will be using this a fair bit.

Was thinking:
CPU: i7 920
Motherboard: Asus P6T (to allow for another graphics card and more ram to upgrade down the track)
Ram: 4Gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 275
HD: 1T 7200rpm

But the above has proven a little costly. I am willing to pay this if it is necessary for my use, and to allow it to run well with games that will come out in the next few years (I love that it sounds easy to amp it up if needed). But this may be overkill from what I have heard.

So maybe:
CPU: i7 860
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D

Would love some ideas on the above. If there is anything I have missed?

Thank you :D 

More about : 920 p6t 860 p7p55d

a c 297 V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 2:21:30 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- The i7-920 is a little old, is best the i7-930.
2- Do u want OC?
3- The i7-860 is a better CPU at stock speed that the i7-920, but if u want OC go with the i7-920 or i7-930.
4- For the i7-9xx series u need a 6GB (3x2GB) kit for the best performance.
5- I would change the P6T for this ASUS P6X58D-E less price better performance or this Gigabyte X58A-UD3R less price too and very good performance and OC. If u want SLI or Crossfire go with the P6X58D-E since the UD3R don't support USB 3.0 when u use Crossfire or SLI.
5- The mobo for the i7-860 is a very solid mobo.
m
l
May 10, 2010 2:36:25 AM

go with the i7 860 and asus p55d deluxe the i7 920 is over rated and is slower then the 860 just look up the benchmarks plus the 860 overclocks great !
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 3:25:29 AM

Thank you Saint and Fox

As far as OC goes, I don't really know how do it. What exactly is involved?
I also saw it mentioned that OC can lead to higher temps resulting in lowing life expectancy of the hardware. So my thoughts are I want my hardware to last, but I'm not apposed to higher speeds. :p  any info about this would also be appreciated.

So ultimately if I go with the i7 860 and P6X58D-E; Do you know if this will be sufficient for my uses, and a good basis for upgrading in the future to keep it current?
I just don't want to have my games running slow within a year or 2 :p  (always happy to put in more ram and another video card but want a good foundation)
m
l
a c 297 V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 1:01:10 PM

1- OC means go above of the manufacturer specifications, and this usually void the warranty of the products. It's true that the OC comes with high temps, that's the reason to buy a CPU cooler or LCS system (depends of the OC that u want to do) that can reduce this temps to normal measures and keep ur hardware safe.
2- You can't go with the i7-860 and the P6X58D-E because are different sockets. The i7-860 is socket 1156 and the P6X58D-E is socket 1366 (only i7-9xx series). U are building a solid rig, and in the future u can add more RAM and another GPU for Crossfire or SLI that can handle the futures games for at least the time that u want.
m
l
!