Sign in with
Your question

Bios stops 2+ min. then loads win xp

Last response: in Components
January 24, 2010 8:34:35 PM

Is it my Bios that is stopping the computer while ACER DEL/F12 page is on screen Tested ram - OK reloaded windows no help tried registry cleaner's Left numerous messages , no replies IE freezes mostly in IMDB movie site for some reason I'm over my head on this Can't afford repair will use as is Have MS can't work anymore
January 24, 2010 9:20:22 PM

Hmmm,sounds like a corrupted install,you might try reinstalling right over existing,,might get lucky, might,,,otherwise consider a clean install...:) 
m
l
January 24, 2010 11:02:02 PM

If it freezes at BIOS screen then it has probably nothing to do with the OS. Since you tested your RAM and is OK, it sounds like your hard drive is in trouble. It takes too long to spin up and send an OK message to the BIOS to proceed. That is why it pauses there and then works. Also a failing hard drive could cause any number of problems in Windows and strange behaviour (corrupted files as well) such as freezing and delays that you described. Use a SMART tool to read your hard drive status and see if it needs to be replaced.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2010 2:57:59 AM

It's a brand new WD Caviar Blue 500gb, but I put an old HDD in and still stops. Awhile back about a month, My Powersupply quit taking 2 HDD's with it, but this problem was awhile after it. Maybe MB is faulty now??
Thank You for the help, Much Appreciated. 6_wheeler
m
l
February 1, 2010 11:42:08 PM

6_wheeler said:
It's a brand new WD Caviar Blue 500gb, but I put an old HDD in and still stops. Awhile back about a month, My Powersupply quit taking 2 HDD's with it, but this problem was awhile after it. Maybe MB is faulty now??
Thank You for the help, Much Appreciated. 6_wheeler

Hmm, a PSU failure could cause any number of faults and yours sounds like a motherboard problem (sine you tested a different drive) . If it is the BIOS that is corrupted you could try a repair by downloading the latest BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer and reflashing the board. In that case it would most probably fix your problem. In case your drive controller has been corrupted by the PSU (hardware fault), then unfortunately there is nothing you can do except to get a new motherboard. Of course there is always the safest option to try different parts like RAM or a different CPU on your PC and see if that makes a difference, so you can narrow down the culprit. But i would go for a BIOS reflash in your case as a first step and take it from there.

Let us know how you go.
m
l
!