Blue Screen Then 980X Death?

why_sleep

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hi guys,

About 6 months ago I bought a used 980X off a friend with plans for an eventual workstation. Finally got it together and everything was running great at stock clocks/voltages for weeks, so I decided to push the chip a little yesterday. It went to 4.0 ghz very easily & with fairly low voltages, passed 50 runs of linx & 4 hours of Intel Burn Test. This morning while playing with e-leet I lowered the cpu vtt from 1.2v to 1.075 and wham, 124 bluescreen then shutdown. I've read that error code means not enough or too much voltage on the vtt or vcore so thinking the vtt was just brought too low I tried to power back on and nothing; Won't post into bios, nothing. Don't have a bios template to supply for obvious reasons but here's the specs:

EVGA E770 Classified 3
i7 980X @ 4.0ghz
Noctua NH-D14
Generic 250gb Western Digital Sata Drive
GTX 470 @ stock
12gb (4gbx3) Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz
Cooler Master Silent Power Pro Gold 1200W

Voltages(What I can remember off my head) :

vcore: 1.25v in e-leet, 1.24 in bios
no vcore boost
qpi pll: 1.2v
ioh lpp: 1.425v(lowest it would go with 980X)
cpu pll: 1.425v
ioh vcore: 1.1v
cpu vtt: 1.2v stable, 1.075 right before bsod
vdimm: 1.63 in e-leet, shows as 1.65 in bios

Thanks in advance for any help guys, know I'm new here but am in a bad way after this experience and need some help from more knowledgeable folks

Solution
Reset the CMOS by removing the battery. This should reset the voltage to stock. I doubt that under-volting will have killed your CPU.

why_sleep

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Tried resetting the coin battery by taking it out & letting it sit for 30 mins then putting it back in, still nothing. Didn't think the cpu would be damaged (let alone fried) by a minor under-volt either, but out of ideas at this point. Thanks for your reply, at any rate

Actually, at this point I would suspect the motherboard over the CPU. Since it was a "used" MB, there is no telling what might have been wrong with it before you got it. :cry:

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I agree and I'd check your power supply as well. While your at it also ck the video card a bad card or card slot (PCIe slot) can cause your PC not to post. I've seen it happen. Ram too, try 1 stick at a time one dimm at a time.

It could be your CPU but from what you've described that's about the last thing I'd suspect.