Looking for a quiet case

gtbuck

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I came across this site while researching parts for my first build. I'm building a sub $1500 gaming rig and I can't decide on a case. The basic components are Gigabyte ga-p55ud4p motherboard, core i5 cup, and radeon 5850 gpu.

My question for now is...
Im' trying to decide on a case and I would like to focus on sound dampening. I'm planning on only running 2 120mm fans. Can anyone recommend any pointers on what to look for in a sub $100 case that would indicate how well it isolates system noise?
also, any sites that rank fans/cases/power supplies by noise level?
thanks

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hey there!

I'd love to direct you to a website I found somewhere, but I can't quite remember the URL. It was something like silentpc.com, but I can't be 100% sure. Just google it! :)

Uhmm, the only thing I can think of is the Cosmos case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138&cm_re=cosmos-_-11-119-138-_-Product

The side panels are covered with acoustic foam, there are rubber dampeners around the side panels as well, the hard drives have rubber dampeners, the feet are silicon pads...

That case was engineered to be quiet! But, it's about $200... :(

If I were you, I'd look for a case that has a nice, big 200mm+ fan instead of a mess of 120mm fans. The larger the fan, the lower the frequency it resonates at. Lower frequencies are easier to dampen by rubber grommets.

Look for a case with a couple of huge fans instead of way too many small ones, look for one with rubber stripping on the side panels, etc.

Bear in mind, unless you're liquid cooling, you are 99% of the time sacrificing cooling power for noise dampening. :(

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Mmm! I forgot about the P180 series!

Yeah, still pricey, but quiet. Also the same with the P193...

The P193 is the same with a nice, sound dampened 200ish mm fan on the side.

...To put a image in your signature, just type image bbcode in the signature field in your user cp. :)

TRENDING THREADS