Card not being recognized by PC

chomans91

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here. Looks like a neat forum! Anyway, I bought a GeForce 9800 GT card recently, and assembled it into my pc. Before I installed it, I went to device manager and disabled/uninstalled the onboard ATI Radeon X1200 card. I used the DVI-to-VGA adapter and got a No Signal screen on my monitor. Then I used the VGA adapter on the back of the PC, which worked.

When I run the NVidia drivers CD and try to install drivers, it says " The Graphics Adapter installed in the system is not compatible with the current set of drivers. I did some research went to the BIOS and made the primary display be PCI e, that didnt work either, the card does not show up in Device manager. Here is my system specs. Basically my computer is not recognizing the card.
(Being detailed so i dont waste your time back and forth :] )

PC Specs
Link to the card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-304-_-Product
motherboard: Asus M2A-VM
powersupply is an NZXT PF400. max output 400 watt ( minimum requirement for the card is 400W)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz
2 gigs of ram
315Gb's of 469gb hard drive
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Looking forward to getting this running! I am not very experienced in computers, but I'm very interested!

Ok, so you set the primary display to PCI-E (or PEG), but while you were in there, did you see any options for disabling the onboard? Double check in your motherboard manual (should also be on the Asus site if you can't find yours) how to do that and if there are any other steps you have to take. Also, try removing and reinserting the 9800GT. And finally, did the 9800GT require any power connectors? If so, are they firmly attached?

One thing you might try is going into the Device Manager and disabling the onboard graphics from there. Last time I installed a new video card in an XP machine, it wouldn't recognize the new card unless I disabled the onboard in the Device Manager. Also: Whatever you do in there, DON'T disable something called "Vgasave" -- that's Windows' emergency driver that gives you video when neither a card or an onboard GPU is active, and the results of disabling it can be dreadful (e.g. no video and no way to get video).

A couple of other tricks that have worked for me on stubborn machines include physically removing the card and doing a CMOS clear, then re-inserting the card and suddenly the machine recognizes it ... also in one case, simply re-seating the CPU gave the system the kick it needed to start looking for new components.

These are by no means the standard methods of installing a video card, but it sounds like you're following the standard procedure and it's not working due to some quirk with the machine, which does happen.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
When you say that it didn't come with any power connectors... are you referring to cables, or the the card not having plug-ins for power cables?

Some 9800GTs are low power models that don't require a plug in to the PSU, but most are not. Your link to the card on newegg is broken, so if you could post the make and model, or a working link, we should be able to rule it out, or identify it as an issue.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
The card you linked to requires a 6pin power connection to your PSU, and is the source of your porblems.. If you only have 4pin molex available, you can use an adapter. Go to a store and ask for 4pin molex to 6pin PCI-E converter.

Minimum System Requirements

* Intel® or AMD® compatible motherboard
* At least 512MB system RAM
* PCI Express® or PCI Express 2.0® compliant motherboard with one x16 graphics slot
* One 6-pin supplementary power connector
* Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 26A)****
* 50 MB of available hard drive space
* CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
* Microsoft® Windows® 2000, XP, or Vista™
* VGA or DVI-I compatible monitor

and it should have come with a 4pin molex to 6pin PCI-E converter.

Included in the box

* NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1024MB PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card
* Quick Installation Guide
* Installation CD, which includes:
- Detailed installation guide (PDF)
- NVIDIA ForceWare Drivers
- Microsoft DirectX 9.0c
- NVIDIA GeForce Demos
- PNY and NVIDIA Desktop Wallpapers
* DVI-to-VGA adapters
* DVI-to-HDMI adapter
* Internal HDMI audio cable
* HDTV Break-Out Pod/Cable
* 4-pin Molex to 6-pin power adapter

If it really has no where to plug in to, then you linked the wrong card, heh.

chomans91

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
err i googled PNY geforce 9800 GT 1024 MB and found that. Mine looks exactly the same, same features , but it doesnt have a 4-pin Molex to 6-pin power adapter. sorry my apologies >.<

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
If the card you have looks EXACTLY like the one in the link you provided, you need to hook up power directly to the card from the PSU, the PCI slot will not provide enough power, nor is that model designed to be used in that fashion. As of yet you have not confirmed that you have hooked up the power cord from the PSU.

Well that mean power issues are out of the question. Hmm... Unless other people have a different solution to the problem, maybe you need to reinstall windows. Sometimes starting off with a clean hdd will help. (be sure to save all important files to another HDD that the os is not on.)

Jwil

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hey chomans91,

Have'n the exact same issue here with the same card.

First of all my specs:
PC:
HP Pavilion a6000n
AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.6 GHz
4 GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System
GRAPHICS CARD is an on-board GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

I just purchased an PSU upgrade to 400W and a Brand Spank'n NEW GeForce 9800 GT graphics card.

The Problem:

I cannot get the system to recognize the card. I've changed the 'primary video source' to PCI-E in the BIOS, have updated all the drivers, I've uninstalled the on-board video driver, and still no joy.

Not sure what to do at this point.

All hardware went in fine, and when powered, the fan on the 'new' video card runs but the system simply will not recognize it. When I say recognize, I mean that when I've got the monitor cable plugged into the 'new' card I get a black screen. I wait a few min's and then plug it back into the on-board video card and it comes up.

As a side note, I've noticed that the 'Dedicated video memory' in the BIOs is set (and cannot be altered) to 128MB. The card is a 512MB, but from what I understand that is the 'cards' memory that it brings to the system, and the 'dedicated video memory' is just the onboard memory allocated from the processor. This should not have any conflicts with the new card? Is this line of thinking correct?

Also, the 'new' card does not have supplemental power needs, the instructions stated that some may, but this one doesn't.

Kinda spin'n my wheels at this point; any help, suggestions, hints, or simple clues would be greatly appreciated.

Jwil

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

Yea, read a little more on it and see that now.

So I took the video card back and got a replacement.
*sigh
NO difference. The screen is blank, and the system defaults to the on-board card.

More Info:

The system was originally a 32-bit (64-bit enabled) Vista machine. I did a custom upgrade, wiped the OS and put the 64-bit OS on.
Not sure if that has any effect on this issue but I thought I'd throw it out because apparently HP doesn't have drivers for the a6000n with Win7. Or, at least, they haven't released them yet.

Still looking, I hate the fact that everywhere I read, I find nothing but glowing reviews about this card and how EASY it was to install. No love here :"(

Well for you, sounds like you're suffering the same thing as these 2 were.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/335264-a8m2n-la-motherboard-wont-recognize-new-video-card.html

If the mod on tech support forums is correct then your motherboard maybe under "lock down" by the OEM (aka HP). preventing you upgrading your computer.

Which this maybe being the case you'll either:

A. have to update bios (may not be possible and May not fix problem.)

B. Get a new motherboard.

Jwil

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Bah! This is aggravating.

I spoke with an HP rep... no love, I even went as far as to ask the GeekSquad if they had any pointers... still no love.

It seems rather silly to lock out a PCIe slot as standard practice. To what end? They put the slot in for upgrades and yet it's locked down... *sigh

So, I've been on the HP website to download updated drivers; they don't have Win7 drivers, only Vista, and mine are more recent... not sure how that worked out (mine 5.18.. theirs 5.16 or some such).

So I guess I'm on the prowl to get a new motherboard... sux... didn't want to throw more money/time at this but I guess that's the cards I was dealt.

Before I do this, I'm gonna try a full reinstall of the OS to try and shock it back and try to track down the motherboard BIOS. I'm told that the original MB BIOS may unlock some features that HP has lock'd down. The flip side is that you won't have HP backup/restore support and such. Don't see that as be'n a big deal since I'm lock'd out anyway.

*sigh... I bought this compy because I was lazy and didn't want to build another one... that'll teach me... :(