Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multiplier or FSB ?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 25, 2012 1:05:52 PM

If a mobo supports both changing of fsb and multiplier than what should one do ?
Increase fsb or multiplier ?
I read somewhere that increasing fsb needs more ram so it would be a better option to increase multiplier in case you have less ram.
Is that right ?
I not sure about this info :??: 

More about : multiplier fsb

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2012 1:17:56 PM

Knowing the specs on your system would be helpful....:|

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2012 1:38:36 PM

Adjusting the multiplier only affects the CPU and is less complicated. using the FSB also changes your memory speed. it has nothing to do with memory size. Since your changing the memory speed you also have to worry about it and the memory controller being stable, not just the CPU which makes the knowing the source of a failure hard.

There are plenty of overclocking guides. basically use the multiplier to get as high as you can and stable. Then if you want to overclock the memory reduce the multiplier and up the FSB as much as you can while staying below the CPU limit. When it fails back off.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2012 2:02:18 PM

We might add that unless your CPU is of the unlocked variety, you cannot change the multiplier.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2012 2:10:05 PM

jitpublisher said:
We might add that unless your CPU is of the unlocked variety, you cannot change the multiplier.

Good point. I was just thinking about the question as "if both are an option". That and never owned a locked CPU lol
March 25, 2012 2:13:33 PM

unksol said:
Adjusting the multiplier only affects the CPU and is less complicated. using the FSB also changes your memory speed. it has nothing to do with memory size. Since your changing the memory speed you also have to worry about it and the memory controller being stable, not just the CPU which makes the knowing the source of a failure hard.

There are plenty of overclocking guides. basically use the multiplier to get as high as you can and stable. Then if you want to overclock the memory reduce the multiplier and up the FSB as much as you can while staying below the CPU limit. When it fails back off.

This what I was searching for.
Thnx a ton !
March 25, 2012 2:13:55 PM

Best answer selected by hitesh12.
!