9800gtx. Insufficiant Power. Red light

hell78

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hi I have a 9800 gtx and im trying to figure out whats going on with my card :(. I have :9800 gtx :quad 2.83 :650 sli power supply As it says above I have Insufficiant Power to the graphics card and it gives me the Blue Screen of Death during games or with anything that needs 3d. I have the 6 pin connectors in yes.Even tried taking it out unhooking it all and starting again but with no luck still :(. I tried my old 8600 gt and that worked fine. Oh yer and my board is a P5K-V Asus. I allso took the cmos battery out-waited 10-put back-redun settings-in bios but no luck :( Hope use can help me.This is driving me nutz 8|

hell78

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Yep they are both in and i did do a triple check on the basic things. I tried it again today and it didnt crash but the fps was at a very minimum 25 fps cod 4 :( but the red light was still on. owell ill keep thinking :heink:

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
if its possible, test with another psu. if not, maybe try different 6 pin leads from the current one.

is the card new? might wanna RMA if you can rule out your psu.

hell78

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Thz again for the help.....I will try and test it on another computer and see if it works in a couple of days.....the psu and graphics card are about 6 months old, the card i got from a swap meet so i dont think i can RMA it :(<--not sure. Everything else is working fine :heink:

"it says above I have Insufficiant Power to the graphics card and it gives me the Blue Screen of Death during games or with anything that needs 3d. "

Did you ever think to pay attention to the error message?

Classic symptom of inadequate power. What kind of PSU?

crosko42

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Yeah I'm guessing the PSU is probably a no-name that might not have sufficient power for the card even if the quoted power is enough.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
650w should be fine. It sounds like either your connectors are lose or the connectors on the card are busted. If the "insufficient power" notice keeps popping up, clearly there's something faulty with the 6-pin connections. Are you using any 2x4-pin molex to 6-pin adapters or does the PSU come with two 6-pin connectors?

hell78

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
its come's with 4 lots of 6 pin connectors for sli or crossflow. ill try a few different things with the molex and see if that helps.