Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II 550 - overclocking?

Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2010 8:55:26 PM

Hi, I'm new here -

Question 1

I've been using AMD OverDrive to overclock my CPU and I've decided that it's time to go the hardware way. If I overclock in the BIOS, will it revert to OverDrive's settings?

Question 2 -

What are the variables that I need to change in the BIOS to either (a) unlock my CPU, or (b) overclock to at least 3.45 GHz?

Thanks in advance for the answers. :) 

Also, I'm using a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P motherboard, and what happens if I try to unlock and it won't boot? Do I just clear the CMOS again?
January 24, 2010 9:10:21 PM

If your 550 is the "BLACK" edition all you have to do is raise up the CPU multiplier in the bios,and uninstall the Overdrive util as you do not need it now...:) 
m
l
January 24, 2010 9:13:03 PM

dokk2 said:
If your 550 is the "BLACK" edition all you have to do is raise up the CPU multiplier in the bios,and uninstall the Overdrive util as you do not need it now...:) 

Well, all 550's are black editions. I'm going to try it now (unlock and clocking back to 3.1ghz) and will report back maybe in 15 mins.
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2010 9:26:54 PM

question 1 - it would not change anything until you rebbot your computer otherwise whatever settings you have up until that point will remain the same

question 2- (a) To unlock the other two cores, go into your BIOS and locate the option that says Auto Core Calibration (ACC) and set that option to "auto" normally once you set this option and restart myou should see 4 cores active in CPU-Z, in some instances you might have to adjust the HT link and reduce the speed but most times changing the acc to auto will do the job just fine,however remember that not every 550 be unlocks automatically sometimes the cores are just faulty and might cause problems if unlocked or even not unlock at all

(b) overclocking the 550 BE is as easy as pie, it's a black edition processor so all you have to do is change the multiplier. also disable cool n quiet and auto spread because they can actually get in the way of your overclocking when enabled, once those have been disabled simply raise the multiplier by 0.5 increments until you get the desired results, the 550 Be should be able to reach 3.4 ghz without the need to adjust the voltage, if problems arise increase the voltage by 0.025 volts until stable, it's relatively easy

if you try to unlock and it does not boot simply clear the cmos trhough the instructions in the booklet, i would prefer buyi9ng an actual quad core rather than try my luck though
m
l
January 24, 2010 9:58:13 PM

alright, so I tried to unlock, computer wouldn't post, so I cleared the CMOS. I then overclocked to 3.4GHz via multiplier, computer took AGES to update the DMI so I shut it down. Now some of my notification icons are blank (Windows 7) and I now have a floppy drive. apparently. I'll reboot and see if the icons fix themselves (they often do)
m
l
January 24, 2010 10:08:01 PM

they did. so now I'm back to where I started. except at 3.4 GHz instead of 3.3 GHz :D 

What's a reputable benchmark?
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
January 25, 2010 11:23:34 AM

1) enter BIOS;
2) hit F11 - name & save current BIOS profile, and exit to main BIOS screen;
3) "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" to reset from your OC;
4) Enter "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)" BIOS menu and select 'Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC);
5) Set ACC to 'Auto' and EC Firmware to 'Hybrid,' wait for update, and then exit to main screen;
6) Manually set other options as required for your setup;
7) F11 - name & save the unlock profile --- return; and
8) Save and exit BIOS.

AOD is pretty neat but teaching yourself the ways of the BIOS are in your best interest long term ....

edit --- you may need to reset your CMOS. For a quick check you may use the stability test in AOD. Once I feel like I'm dialed in I like to run OCCT.
m
l
January 25, 2010 3:21:04 PM

Wisecracker said:
1) enter BIOS;
2) hit F11 - name & save current BIOS profile, and exit to main BIOS screen;
3) "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" to reset from your OC;
4) Enter "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)" BIOS menu and select 'Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC);
5) Set ACC to 'Auto' and EC Firmware to 'Hybrid,' wait for update, and then exit to main screen;
6) Manually set other options as required for your setup;
7) F11 - name & save the unlock profile --- return; and
8) Save and exit BIOS.

AOD is pretty neat but teaching yourself the ways of the BIOS are in your best interest long term ....

edit --- you may need to reset your CMOS. For a quick check you may use the stability test in AOD. Once I feel like I'm dialed in I like to run OCCT.

Well, I tried it, and I guess I was one of the unlucky ones. Oh well, it's still a NICE processor, I did the test in OCCT for ten minutes and it only went up to 52 degrees on maximum load at 3.4GHz. With the Core Contact Freezer that's on the way, I should have some great overclocks.

Can you recommend any good benchmarking programs? I tried to download 3dMark06 last night but the download timed out on me.
m
l
!