I had a USB mp3 charging from a front USB port on my case. I plugged an external DVD drive into the spare port. When the disk tried to spin up the machine switched itself off. Runs fine if i jusy use one or the other individually, but not together. Guessing it is drawing too much power (500ma limit?) from the USB header (they both go into one header on the motherboard). Normally the drive has two USB at source (one for more power) leading to a single cable for the DVD drive
Is this my motherboard shutting itself off to avoid overload
Will I have damaged it?
I know on macs you get a warning, just shocked me to see everything go black, then have to restart it