SSD help please

dansurfn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
help me please!! i have a computer with an Intel 40gb ssd with my os and some programs and drivers and i have a 1tb wd carvier black with all my programs and stuff on it. i was dumb and i am running out of room on my ssd and i was wondering if i install my os on a new (bigger) ssd will it make all the data on my 1tb drive not work like my steam games and my itunes?

Solution
Any "good" cloning software will allow resizing of the partition as well. Acronis is one of them and last time I checked you can get the WD Edition for free on the WD website since you have a WD HDD in your machine (even if the WD is not the drive you are actively cloning).

I know this will work because it is exactly what I did when I moved from my 36GB WD Raptor to my 60GB SSD; I didn't have to reinstall anything.
its possible if you change the destination drive to your TB drive when installing programs it will not work on a fresh install of an OS because it is missing the registry settings and possibly other things. why would you install games on the TB drive anyway. fast loading with games is one of the main reasons to get an SSD drive.

with steam i think you will just have to download the game and install it from steam again. how messy it would be would depend on if you have the steam client on the SSD or the TB drive

try this to gain more space on your 40gb ssd to give you a bit of breathing space

Go to Start menu, type “cmd” open up command prompt
Type “powercfg.exe -h off” [make sure you are an Administrator]
ENTER
Type “exit”
ENTER

then restart pc

you should gain quite a few gbs of space

this disables hibernation and deletes the large hyberfil.sys file--it doesnt stop you using sleep

also run the disk cleanup in accessories--system tools or download and run ccleaner

dansurfn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

the reason why i dont have the games on is because its only 40gb and anything bigger than that is way to much money. the main reason for the ssd is that the windows boot time takes way to long, my boot time with the ssd is 15sec. and on my 1tb its sata 3 and it works great.

dansurfn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

i thought if you cloned the drive it would make the drive think it is a smaller size?

dansurfn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

i disabled hibernation though my control panel then disk drive properties i think. is the way you said delete everything?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Any "good" cloning software will allow resizing of the partition as well. Acronis is one of them and last time I checked you can get the WD Edition for free on the WD website since you have a WD HDD in your machine (even if the WD is not the drive you are actively cloning).

I know this will work because it is exactly what I did when I moved from my 36GB WD Raptor to my 60GB SSD; I didn't have to reinstall anything.

Solution

doing it through control panel will disable hibernation but not sure if it will delete the hyberfil.sys file or keep it in case you re-enable hibernation

doing it the way i said will definately delete the hyberfil.sys file --it gained me quite a few gbs

i also disable or set the pagefile to a very low amount as having 12gb of ram means a large pagefile--you could move the pagefile to your other drive and gain more space that way as well if you havent done that already