Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there a huge difference between 5ms and 2ms monitors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2009 5:22:41 AM

I just ordered an alienware auroa with a ATI 5870 and i still need a monitor for when i recieve the computer sometime in dec. Im not sure what to buy and ill mostly be gaming on the computer. I will mostly be gaming and i was wondering how big of a difference there is between 5ms and 2ms and what size i should get. im willing to spend the 230ish over 170ish for a monitor if there is a huge difference in quality. Im not really sure what resolution im going to use yet but another question comes to mind with if i want to use an hdmi cable or not. Is there a difference there also from DVI?

Best solution

a b C Monitor
November 16, 2009 5:45:47 AM

No significant difference, no.

As for what size? I'm partial to 24" with 1920x1200.
November 16, 2009 7:13:04 AM

Have to agree with cjl. I have 2 ms @ work and 5 ms @ home i have been like this for 3 years and i still cannot see any major difference. I can;t see any minor too if i have to be honest :) 
There sure is difference but i guess it is too miniscule to notice with naked eye.
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2009 7:56:27 AM

most companies that advertise 2ms Are reffering to GTG (gray to white to grey) while most companies that advertise 5ms are refering to Black to Black.
I have never noticed any difference either tho
m
l
November 16, 2009 12:03:52 PM

The main difference would be at higher refresh rates (75Hz and above), where a lower response time is essential for reducing ghosting. But at 60Hz, theres really no difference between the two.
m
l
!