seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Do I need a Multimeter to fix computers? What exactly does it do, where do I need to use it, and what type do I need. Are there any other tools I need that I haven't heard of...

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I'd go as far to say that if you're unsure of how to use a multimeter in computer repair, you could possibly do more damage with one than you could fix.

You wouldn't actually be repairing anything with a multimeter, but they can be very useful if you don't have a power supply tester on hand, and know which pins require which voltage.

There's rarely, if ever, a time that you'd 'need' one.

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Everyone is unsure at some point in their lives. I want to learn everything though, not be scared of the unknown. But thanks for your responses.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
A multimeter is a great instrument and I'd encourage everyone to learn to use one. However, in all the years I have been building and fixing PCs I never needed to use one. Usually if I don't know if a particular part works I use a second one to do the test.

As a previous poster stated there are power supply testers (I guess that would be the most comon use of a multimeter in a PC environment) that you could use to test pSUs.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Furthermore, few of the uses of a multimeter is to measure the level of the following:

- Voltage
- Amperage
- Resistance
- Capacitance
- Frequency
- etc

and also to test continuity in a circuit.

+1 for learning how to use a DMM.

@OP: If you trouble shoot PCs, in certain cases, a multi meter WILL be a valuable tool to have. This is VERY true when you are trying to check for a bad PSU. When the PSU is jumped, and voltages are tested, if the rails are VERY low (ie +12rail showing 9v,etc) or too high (+12 showing 14v,etc) it is a good sign that the PSU is bad, saved me a couple of hours of work troubleshooting stupid PSU problems.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I couldn't agree more. I troubleshoot electronics harware for a living, and I've used many different types and models of analog and digital test equipment throughout my career. A DMM is an indispensable tool, however, it's not much use without a basic understanding of Ohms Law and Watts Law.

kevinbyte

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Multimeter is useful tool to fix computers, do you know mastech or sinometer? they make multimeters and beat with fluke. You can check their dealer histest in union city