Did I Overclock my 2500k correctly?

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I followed a video on youtube on all of the settings to set in my BIOS for my AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 MOBO + Intel 2500k. It is OC'd to 4.3

I am now doing stress tests on Prime95.

This is the second test i have done now. I have been doing this one for about 20 minutes now.
This was a custom test with --> FFT: 1792 - 1792, Memory In Use: 6500 (i have 8GB), and Time: 1 minute.

Untitled.png

This was a blend test that i had been running for about 10 minutes so far.
blend.png

--This was after the tests at idle--

idle.png

Last night i ran blend tests on Prime95 all night long and it passed all tests and never went over 64C. Is this all looking stable and safe to be running 24/7 for gaming and whatnot?

Solution
G

ok then see about lowering your Vcore (CPU voltage) as was suggested before.

there is a thread with a simular set up. the post screen shots of the bios will help you see where to look.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270885-29-asrock-extreme3-gen3-2500k-stable-3ghz

even though 64c is ok, getting down a few more degrees would be nice. but usually running prime gets the temps a little hotter than gaming.

btw, are you using an after market cooler?

meagainstyou

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
ur second picture doesn't really tell us much from ur first picture run real temp and linX for 10 trials, find the lowest voltage for 4.2ghz that will not make ur computer freeze/restart/blue screen/w.e, up the voltage by 0.01 and then if the temperatures are under 70*C its safe, if theyre under 80*C theyre stable.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Why do i need to find the lowest voltages possible?

And how do i lower the voltage? In BOIS im assuming is what you mean.. but which settings do i need to lower?

(I am all new to OC'ing)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Because higher voltages mean higher temperatures, and more stress on the chip. High enough voltage can kill a chip outright. Overclocking is a balancing act between performance, heat and lifespan. Minimizing voltage keeps heat low and lifespan high.

Also, stress tests are typically done far longer than you have, usually around 8 hours. Makes sure your hardware gets nice and hot and any bugs get caught. A 20 minute Prime95 run is only going to catch if your settings are way too aggressive. If you're just a bit past the line of what your hardware can handle it will take a while to actually get any errors, but they can crash your system all the same.

G

before you do ANYTHING you really should run prime for 2 hours at least.

then if your stable and temps are like they are, jack up the multi to 45 and run it again. if thats fine THEN lower your voltage before continuing.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Last night i ran Prime95 Blend tests all night long and it passed every test, and never went over 64C. Do i need to mess with anything still? (im wanting to keep it at 4.3)

G

ok then see about lowering your Vcore (CPU voltage) as was suggested before.

there is a thread with a simular set up. the post screen shots of the bios will help you see where to look.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270885-29-asrock-extreme3-gen3-2500k-stable-3ghz

even though 64c is ok, getting down a few more degrees would be nice. but usually running prime gets the temps a little hotter than gaming.

btw, are you using an after market cooler?

Solution
No. You don't really need to change anything if it's stable. Be sure to run MEMTEST.

I see no reason to overclock your RAM either. There may be scenarios that exist where it would be beneficial but 1600MHz is likely plenty for your CPU, even overclocked that high.

However:
WHY are you overclocking this high?

You are going to generate a lot of heat, more noise and possibly destroy it.

GTX680 performance:
(In fact the extra case heat could affect overclocking of a graphics card and actually LOWER a game's performance slightly, especially with a GTX680 which has a new feature that simply alters its clock speed to meet a specific THERMAL TARGET. That's a good thing but higher case heat will definitely LOWER your graphics cards performance slightly.)

*It would be interesting to find the trade-off between having a FASTER CPU vs lowering the GTX680 performance due to the extra ambient heat. That will vary by the game and how well the case is cooled.

Summary:
- excessive overclocking can be unnecessary at best
- excessive overclocking adds heat and can potentially even destroy your CPU
- " " can even lower the performance of new cards like the GTX680 which vary frequency based on GPU temperature.
- transcoding video usually is directly proportional to the CPU speed, however if that's the main reason consider overclocking ONLY when transcoding.

(I personally am overclocking no higher than 3.8GHz. When I get my GTX680 I will be experimenting with benchmarking several games with the goal to get the best performance at 60FPS VSYNC and may even DROP the frequency if I meet my goal.

My room is also small and gets very WARM at times so heat is also an issue.)

meagainstyou

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
to find a lower voltage for the same frequency makes your computer cooler and slightly increases the lifespam of ur cpu. If this freq isnt the max for the voltage you could have it higher. Why run a 4300 when you can run a 4500 at the same temperature and voltage. You need to think of the highest voltage you're wiling to have it at then find the best OC for that voltage so you get the best out of ur system. It's not the frequency that kills your cpu its ur voltage. As for how to do this I can explain it in UEFI if u have bios try and find a video on youtube and watch it like X3

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Yes, i am using Hyper 212+. What do i need to change in BIOS to lower the Vcore? (remember im all new to OCing)

I have mine set to Offset, and -0.005, Level 4, and i think most of the other voltage settings under that are set to auto except DRAM i think. Should i change my settings to the same as the person did in the link you gave me? Cuz he has his offset voltage set to -0.050? Also my short duration limit, long duration limit, and Core current limit are all set to 250.

What all should i change? or should i use the same settings that other person did in your link?

G

let me state i do not so therefore take my advise with a grain of salt.
ok?

now when i have looked to overclocked in the past, i would look at others' set up similar to mine and copy that to see if it worked for me.

with that said raising the offset to -0.050 would lower the "ceiling" for your voltages than the -0.005. that ought to limit it to 1.259 from the 1.304 in the first posted screen shot.

what i did to raise the offset and undervolt my i3 was; rise the offset -0.05, save/exit, reboot back into the bios to see what changed.

G

good job!

hopefully it will reflect in your temps being slightly lower; nothing drastic but 2-3 degrees lower would be nice.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for the help! Im gonna use Prime95 to do some stress testing to make sure its fully stable. What kind of tests should i do? What will be the best choice of tests to run overnight to make sure it is stable for sure?

G

the small FFT for a few hours will give you an indication if your cpu is doing ok. if your temps get crazy with that you know there is a cooling problem.

the blend test overnight will give your whole system a work out.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

That is all i need. Thank you so much for the help! :D

G

your welcome, glad i could help and thanks for thew vote :)