Recommend me a new Mobo (LGA 1366)

Hey guys,

I think my motherboard is taking a dump on me so I'm desperately in need of a new one (USA). Specs:

Mobo: ASUS P6T SE
GPU: HD 4890
CPU: i7 920
SSD (for OS + games): OCZ Summit 120GB
HDD (storage): Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB Tri-Channel) 240-Pin DDR3 DDR3 1600
PSU: CORSAIR 850W

I don't really have a price limit/preference, I just want something stable that works. I've been trying to stay away from Asus (******* hate that company now after what this mobo has put me through). I currently have these boards in mind, but feel free to make any suggestions.

EVGA E758-TR
ASRock X58 Extreme
Foxconn FlamingBlade

(NOTE: I do need at least one PATA/IDE port, my optical drive uses it). Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about recommend mobo 1366
  1. Since you are replacing essentially, lets try and make it an upgrade on a few terms.. Take a look at the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.. It brings features such as USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s connectors at a very decent price..
  2. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think that would work with my current RAM, would it? The memory standard on that board says:

DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800

My RAM is DDR3 1600. I thought the board's memory standard had to be the same as the RAM? If I'm wrong let me know... I'm retarded with hardware. :ange:
  3. It'll easily support your current memory.. Here is a link to a website reviewing it with 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM..

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/05/07/gigabyte-ga-x58a-ud3r-motherboard-review/1

You can also click on the memory support list from the below link and check..

http://www.giga-byte.co.in/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3305
  4. Alright, thanks a lot man. It looks like a very solid board, but I'm still confused.

For future reference, do I need to pay attention to the "Memory Standard" field when looking at mobo/RAM compatibility? If the mobo supports DDR3 1600, than why doesn't it include DDR3 1600 in the list?

I'm not trying to troll you - I'm honestly *** with hardware. Is there an article or something I can read that explains this for me? Thanks!
  5. In most cases, it is not important.. If the board is said to work with DDR3 (or whichever) then it'll work with any DDR3 regardless of the speed, latency or manufacturer..
  6. ^Not totally true.
  7. saint19 said:
    ^Not totally true.

So only i wrote in most cases..
  8. Yeah, and the UD3R is out of that most cases.
  9. The ASRock X58 Extreme is definitely the way to go. Great price, great quality.
    Unless you want SATA 3.0, it will meet all your needs.
  10. Probably ordering the EVGA tonight. The GB's (UD3R series) seem to have bad placement with the expansion slots. Not a problem that I want to encounter in the future.

Any last minute objections/recommendations anybody?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product