Sign in with
Your question

Do i have a monitor problem or a system problem - micro stutter??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2009 9:26:28 AM

my rig, i believe is up to date below...

for some time now, i have noticed what could be micro stutter while playing games. a game, take say sims 3, on my current rig can reach 300 fps and beond. using this as an example of no vsync, while playing, the game can be "choppy" while playing. this i mean i can notice say a .2ms jump between each frame, which happens all the time.

modern warfare 2 though, with vsync enabled, i have it set at 60fps. this, what i think is microstutter, still occures. anoying for first person shooters, specially online where i may be shooting some one and the screen is jumping frames.

this did happen on my old 4870x2 and once i upgraded to 5870 (x2) it still ocured. (and yes, have removed one card, disabled crossfire)

my monitor runs at 1680 x 1050 at 60hz ( cant seem to enable 75 hz though) it is a LG flatron w2252tq

Also i have noticed that the monitor mucks up some colours like blacks, makes them like a dark splotch green which is very anoying.

could some one help in determining if its my monitor or i am just unlucky as i do not know how to fix this problem.

Thank you

(p.s. when playing at 60 fps, due to this "micro Stutter" it almost feels like im playing at 25 fps due to the jummpyness of it)
graphics drivers are beyond date (9.11 beta)
November 16, 2009 12:47:16 PM

My initial thought would be, there is no way your monitor can slow down your game as it just recieves the signal fed to it by the video card and does not actually interact with the game in any other way (vsync and colors aside).

If the stuttering is constant, meaning there is absolutely no time when the game is smooth than you should swap monitors out to rule that being the problem. If your games are smooth at times but get stuttery along the way, than I would look to other issues like your hard drive (being to slow to feed the levels), your memory (not enough for swapping and has to hit the HD) or a driver issue.

It doesn't matter how fast your video card is if your hard drive is to slow or your CPU is overwhelmed by doing other things while trying to run your games. That brings up another thing, make sure your computer is not trying to do something else while you are gaming.
m
l
November 16, 2009 1:06:39 PM

Just for giggles have you defragged? I have seen a heavily fragmented drive create the same issue on an otherwise very capable machine.. that or I would go with warezme
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2009 8:35:24 PM

Hard Line said:
Just for giggles have you defragged? I have seen a heavily fragmented drive create the same issue on an otherwise very capable machine.. that or I would go with warezme

well windows 7 is basically a new install, will do it anyway but not sure it will help, thanks anyway
m
l
November 16, 2009 8:41:18 PM

warezme said:
My initial thought would be, there is no way your monitor can slow down your game as it just recieves the signal fed to it by the video card and does not actually interact with the game in any other way (vsync and colors aside).

If the stuttering is constant, meaning there is absolutely no time when the game is smooth than you should swap monitors out to rule that being the problem. If your games are smooth at times but get stuttery along the way, than I would look to other issues like your hard drive (being to slow to feed the levels), your memory (not enough for swapping and has to hit the HD) or a driver issue.

It doesn't matter how fast your video card is if your hard drive is to slow or your CPU is overwhelmed by doing other things while trying to run your games. That brings up another thing, make sure your computer is not trying to do something else while you are gaming.

yeah, i never get a smoth moment so i may try my friends moniter, which is similar to mine, only its made by acer.

i have just a standard western digital harddrive, 2 actually. could it be that having both in can cause it to be slow, i remember seeing something like this when i hade a normal sata hdd and then a ide hdd put on the same board, slowed down baddly.

and i dont think background tasks are affecting gameplay.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2009 8:55:20 PM

Sorry just to clear it up are you saying its still jumpy with only one card ? if so then i don't believe it can be micro stutter as i believe but am not 100% sure that this is a multi card/chip issue that some pro's even dismiss as something that doesn't exist.
I have read where people are reporting micro stutter and driver updating or re-installing has fixed the issue. As you cant enable 75Hz, and I'm assuming you should be able to then that points at the drivers playing up anyway.
The monitor could contribute to this problem but its very unlikely.
Is it safe to assume with that system that you play at maximum settings ? Something that may help if you can is to enable or force triple buffering which basically takes up some of the cards power and gives it an extra frame in the buffer, this helps by slowing things down and giving you more resource to feed the screen more smoothly ( the extra frame in the buffer).
As warezme it could be as simple as the system being forced to page ( use the HDD) if you dont have enough Ram available. Or just the HDD itself.

Mactronix
m
l
November 16, 2009 10:49:51 PM

I have the exact same problem with my single 5870 with Vsync on... Altough, it only happens in certain area for me. Most of the time it runs fine. I had a similar problem in MW 1 but I was able to solve it using the "use dual video card" option.
m
l
November 16, 2009 11:20:54 PM

Violins77 said:
I have the exact same problem with my single 5870 with Vsync on... Altough, it only happens in certain area for me. Most of the time it runs fine. I had a similar problem in MW 1 but I was able to solve it using the "use dual video card" option.

yeah same but happens with all games
m
l
November 16, 2009 11:25:37 PM

have tried defrag and nothing changed, so it could be the moniter itself or anything else. could even be my cpu for all i care!!
am still wating to test the second moniter.

should also throw in, the fps counters which i have run i have noticed are constantly jummping up and down, never realy stays in the same spot, even when standing stil with no movement around me.

crysis using r_display info 1 shows the avg frame rate of 60 when vsync is on, but when walking around or what ever the range of fps jumps from any where from above 60 to 20, which is constantly going and up and down
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2009 6:59:58 AM

Dont know here but stab in the dark time. Could it be your i7 doing this. Its got built in overclocking right. Ramps itself up when needed. Could this be doing it, jumping the frames all over the place when it throttles up and down ?
Can you disable this feature in the bios to check ?

Mactronix
m
l
November 17, 2009 8:59:16 PM

mactronix said:
Dont know here but stab in the dark time. Could it be your i7 doing this. Its got built in overclocking right. Ramps itself up when needed. Could this be doing it, jumping the frames all over the place when it throttles up and down ?
Can you disable this feature in the bios to check ?

Mactronix

thats the intel, err technology thingy, yeah err it raises the muliplyer up from say 20 to 21.

i have that disabled for some time now and i run at 193 x 19.00 (3.66 ghz) still happens. though it could still be a cpu problem, could even be a memory problem.

still though i think its the moniter as i notice there is a *** load of tearing happening on it on the 60hz and i read that tearing shouldnt happen on a 2ms response screen at 60hz. vsync fixes this as i know, but slike i just said, i dont think there should be tearing
m
l
November 17, 2009 9:18:55 PM

Therell be tearing if things are going faster than your monitor is going. The faster, the greater the lielyhood of it happening, even with a faster refresh rate.
If you could, drop everything to stock clocks first.
We need to eliminate things. Ocing the cpu , the cpu, monitor etc. Find what compomemt is causing this, or if its a driver issue, and the 9.11 drivers are out as well
m
l
November 17, 2009 10:54:53 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Therell be tearing if things are going faster than your monitor is going. The faster, the greater the lielyhood of it happening, even with a faster refresh rate.
If you could, drop everything to stock clocks first.
We need to eliminate things. Ocing the cpu , the cpu, monitor etc. Find what compomemt is causing this, or if its a driver issue, and the 9.11 drivers are out as well

yes thanks j about to test new moniter give me 30 min
m
l
November 17, 2009 11:19:07 PM

ok tryed new screen, i think it made the problem worse! screen taring is actually visable with vsync on!! fraps shows 60 fps solid no jumps and the game (cod 6) still jumps around like crazy!. will now try with no clock. and will also update to 911
m
l
November 17, 2009 11:28:13 PM

I would suggest doing them 1 at a time, then youll know whats causing it
m
l
November 18, 2009 12:20:16 AM

have now installed new drivers. tested farcry 2 and there is still that jittering in game. its not registered in fraps though. as it never was. do you know of a program which records the frames and then converts it into a graph so u can see every minute (small) change in frams?
I think that fraps can do it, can it??
m
l
November 24, 2009 4:45:54 AM

Finally someone who is going through the exact same thing as me. I try telling people what i am having issues with and i know they don't understand it. Something i have seen in common is the ATI card. I have a 4870 on cat 9.11`s right now. I know there is a refresh bug in windows 7. It reports 59Hz instead of 60Hz on mine.If i select 60 it just goes back to 59. I am not for sure if that is what is causing the problem. I used to be able to run with Vsync, but now i had to turn it off because the lag/stutter got 10 times worse.

I cant stand this stutter and it makes playing First person shooters almost impossible.

Core 2 duo
Q6600
Gskill 4 gb ram
Ocz vertex ssd
Thermaltake 800 watt psu
Hanns-G 28 inch monitor.
Intel g33 motherboard
m
l
November 24, 2009 9:52:05 AM

jeffd10 said:
Finally someone who is going through the exact same thing as me. I try telling people what i am having issues with and i know they don't understand it. Something i have seen in common is the ATI card. I have a 4870 on cat 9.11`s right now. I know there is a refresh bug in windows 7. It reports 59Hz instead of 60Hz on mine.If i select 60 it just goes back to 59. I am not for sure if that is what is causing the problem. I used to be able to run with Vsync, but now i had to turn it off because the lag/stutter got 10 times worse.

I cant stand this stutter and it makes playing First person shooters almost impossible.

Core 2 duo
Q6600
Gskill 4 gb ram
Ocz vertex ssd
Thermaltake 800 watt psu
Hanns-G 28 inch monitor.
Intel g33 motherboard

good to know someone else has the same problem. i cant remember if i already wrote this but i originally had a 4870x2 and it done this and i thought that it was the card, but the problem persists with my 2 5870's.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 10:52:10 AM

heroofspirits said:
have now installed new drivers. tested farcry 2 and there is still that jittering in game. its not registered in fraps though. as it never was. do you know of a program which records the frames and then converts it into a graph so u can see every minute (small) change in frams?
I think that fraps can do it, can it??

Rivatuner may work for your card (it hasn't been updated for a while).
m
l
November 24, 2009 5:07:05 PM

I have tried Rivatuner and powerstip. This micro stutter is new. It was just a very random stutter and the feeling of of game play not being very smooth. I am thinking this is a driver issue. why just a few are having problem i have know idea.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 5:12:21 PM

jeffd10 said:
I have tried Rivatuner and powerstip. This micro stutter is new. It was just a very random stutter and the feeling of of game play not being very smooth. I am thinking this is a driver issue. why just a few are having problem i have know idea.

Did the stutter show when using Riva's HW monitor?
m
l
November 24, 2009 7:27:34 PM

It stayed between 58-60 frames per second with vsync & triple buffer on. But it showed no stutter in the logs. even though it stuttered to death with vsync on in game. But truthfully it feels like a refresh problem with vsync on now. with it off it feels like .02 ms stutter every .02 ms. Or like if there was a strobe light turned on during the game. You can just tell there is missing animations/frames.
m
l
November 24, 2009 7:40:15 PM

I had this problem with my 4870x2 playing bioshock, fallout3, Prototype, and MW1. I fixed it at the time by underclocking my system memory. It was stock CPU clocks at the time, 1066mhz/2.1v down to 800mhz/1.8v eliminated the issue. Then a week later it died. I didn't think much about it at the time, and i doubt it is all that relative to your rig, considering the differences in hardware, but it is something worth trying if you are running out of options.

The problem never reared its head again, but I also haven't run faster than 4.00x memory timing since I started OCing the chip shortly after anyhow.
m
l
November 24, 2009 8:05:29 PM

I caught this. I tried to reproduce it but no luck. But this is how it acts in game everytime. with Vsync on. With vsync off it plays a lot better but the micro stutter our there.

m
l
November 24, 2009 8:45:33 PM

Id be looking for matching SW, or SW drawing off the cpu as a possibility
m
l
November 24, 2009 9:23:54 PM

Looking at the graph you would think i started and stopped the game several times.
m
l
November 26, 2009 10:14:29 AM

wow cricky there is a second page, was wondering why nothing was being written yet i was being notified, lol
m
l
!