New graphics card!

oskario

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
So, I have a phenom 9750 overclocked to 2,6 ghz, 4 gb ram, vista 32bit and a asus nvidia 8800gt. I want a new graphicscard for my pc. Im going to buy BF:BC2 when it comes out, and it will support dx11. So I want a card that supports dx11. But thet pretty much limits me to either the ati 5770 or 5850. Wich one should I buy? Will my processor bottleneck the 5850? Should I wait for nvidias dx11 cards?
Oh, and sorry for my english, im from Sweden^^
Thanks!

The 5850 and 5870 are pretty slim pickings when it comes to their availability. Honestly if you have the funds for a 5850 just wait for them to come in stock and pick one up. The 5770's performs slightly under a 4870, but does have the DX11 that you are looking for. A 5850 performs significantly better and is worth the $300.

Just wait for the 5850 to come in stock and get it. You can wait for the Nvidia DX11 cards, but I have a feeling they won't be cheap, but they also might drive down the ATI cards in price. I would wait until you are just about ready to buy the game.

oskario

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Yeah, maybe I should wait untill the game's almost released. Thanks. But you dont think that my processor would be a big bottleneck?

oskario

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Im going to like buy a new motherboard and *** next year maybe^^
So its pointless to buy a 5850, because my processor will bottleneck it?

No it's fine, you will see HUGE improvements over a 8800gt. The whole "bottleneck" argument is WAY overused. Your system is full of bottlenecks, meaning the faster device is always waiting on the slower device to push information through. Will you get better performance on an OCed i7 with a 5850? Of course you will. Just like if you use your 8800GT on that same OCed i7 it will perform better. But it doesn't make sense to get a new mobo, CPU, and memory just for a few extra frames when a 5850 in your current rig will run just fine.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Limitations (I also hate the term bottleneck) are not totally negative, they are just there, as jay2tall mentioned, all systems have limiting hardware, it is not such a hindrance as the term "Bottleneck" makes it out to be.

Your CPU may limit how many FPS you will get in certain titles, allowing the GPU to do more work per frame, IE AA/AF. That is why I use Vsync on every game that I can. It is like emulating a CPU limitation, but slowing down the graphics so that the card isn't going bugsh!t crazy trying to blow out 200fps, generally allows more stable use of higher textures, anti-aliasing, AF, shadows etc etc.