Overclocking i5 2500k with gigabyte mobo-not sure how to start

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I am extremely new to overclocking and have no idea where to start.
These are the parts i have

Cpu: i5 2500k
mobo: gigabyte ga z68ap-d3
ram: patriot 8 gb 9 9 9 24 1.65 volt(yeah i know i shoulda bought 1.500 volt)

So i read the guides on tomshardware. However I didn't understand them. The cliffnotes one went over the information too vaugley for me. The full one uses msi terms and I have a gigabyte board. I have no idea what term relates to what. So I am asking for help from anyone that knows gigabyte terms. It would be greatly apreciated.

Btw i tried just changing the multiplyer and i got the can't boot message because of overclocking or undervolting. Any ideas?

Adjust your ram voltage to 1.5v. (Triple channel sticks, but they run in dual channel for me! I've got them too, at 1.5v) Anyways, as for your cpu try 1.2v for voltage. If it boots, run prime 95 or OCCT for a few hours and leave it. You can also try reducing the voltage by .005 until it crashes and increase it a bit until it is stable under booting, stress testing, and gaming :)

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
First, go buy another set of RAM, 1333Mhz @1.5v according to Intel i5-2500k's specs.
Reset your motherboard bios (optimized default settings inside bios)
Reboot to bios again
Turn off Intel TurboBoost then set multiplier to x40
You're done.

Extra configuration for cooler system:
Set CPU Vcore to normal then Adjust your DVID (dynamic Vcore) to lower (-0.075V or so) because at 4Ghz, the i5-2500k won't need that much voltage.

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

I really don't think i need a new set of ram

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Tried 1.2- computer got stuck in a boot loop- guna let it run at 1.3 where it is stable now

I have it overclocked and shut off turbo boost but for some reason it still acts like its enabled- it only gets 3.7 when its under a heaver load- other than that its 3.3

Did you follow the guide? Also lower the 1.3v until it starts crashing, and then raise it a bit.