Best 120GB SSD on the market?

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi guys, I want to buy a SSD, but I'm not sure which one is the better option, and I would like you to tell me your opinion, I want you to consider prices and speed, the current SSD's that I've seen are:
OCZ Agility 3 - $170
OCZ Vertex 3 - $209
Corsair Force 3 - $190
Corsair Force GT - $205
Patriot Pyro - $200
Patriot Wildfire - $250

I've seen the Vertex 3 is a great deal, but, do you really feel the difference between an Agility 3 and a Vertex 3?... I will be installing OS and games in this SSD

Thanks

Solution
Two comparisions from annadtech using PCMark Vantage. This is much closer to a real life test. They are somewhat dated, reason this is important is that it does NOT use the latest Firmware. Crucial updated to Version 9 which provided a performance boost while I'm guessing that the OCZ was tested with 2.06 (could have been 2.02) and is upto 2.13. OCZ update firmware for some decreased performance in an effort to reduce the problems with the SF2281 controller.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup/6
and
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-patriot-wildfire-ssds-reviewed/8

First link: Remember it takes about 10 - 15% boost to even begin to see an improvement. In terms of the overall...

The Vertex 3 uses 25nm IMFT synchronous NAND, while the Agility 3 uses 25nm IMFT asynchronous NAND. Synchronous NAND is faster.

I think the latest firmware for OCZ xxxx 3's are up to 2.13, Just downloaded it and updated the piece of junk known as a Agility III (Yes I know I'm alittle harsh - maybe I need to take a politically correctness course).

Too much attention is placed on benchmark Sequencial read /writes, THE LEAST important metric for a OS + program drive. To top that off to obtain The Advertised UPTO speed you have to run a benchmark that used UNcompressed data - Not very Real life like.
Bottom line In real life, day-to-day usage there is not a big difference between the SSDs outside of a select few programs.

Personally I would not buy any of them, Much prefer the marvel based SATA III drives.
My two Curcial M4's walk all over my 2 agillity III's and are probaby very close to the Vertex 3.

Added: JohnnyLucky has some OUSTANDING links to info on SSDs.
http://www.johnnylucky.org/

You have a point but even benchmarking with compressed data the Vertex 3 comes ahead of the M4.
Here's a link to the Chart section here at Tom's comparing the 2 drives. Out of 45 benchmarks the Vertex 3 is better in 27, the M4 is better in 17, and 1 tie.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2011/compare,2784.html?prod%5B5119%5D=on&prod%5B5104%5D=on

The benchmarks are called "synthetic benchmarks" for a reason. They are grossly exaggerated results. They were purposefully designed to exaggerate a very small difference in ssd performance. Manufacturers and vendors pick and choose benchmarks that make their ssd's look better than they are.

I first became aware of the problem with synthetic benchmarks last November. I was reading a review of an ssd that included comparison charts. For one particular benchmark the author of the review casually mentioned there wasn't much difference between the best and worst performing ssd and explained why. Since then I have run into several additional articles and reviews with similar information. The information is there but it only surfaces in little bits and pieces making it difficult to put it in perspective.

I would go with the OCZ Vertex 3. Once u try SSD, u will not look back.

If there is area where HDD is better, than it is not by much = u wont notice that, really.

That is, if u get the latest SATA ll and SATA lll SSD's

I agree with JohnnyLucky and RetiredChief, and I think benchmark tools are just the practical tools that offer theoretical numbers.

They are better tools for the marketing departments, than for SSD users: )

-----------------------------------

Great web JohnnyLucky (thanx to RetiredChief for the heads up)
http://www.johnnylucky.org/

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for your answer... but, if you think benchmarks are just practical tools to offer theoretical number, wouldn't you just buy a cheaper version of a good SSD?... for example the OCZ Agility 3?, if there's no big difference in real life I mean.

I really need to decide which SSD to buy as soon as possible, I want quality, NOTICEABLE speeds, and good price, do you guys still think OCZ Vertex 3 is my best option?.

Thanks

Of course I take it in consideration, but I do my homework on it. I would read everything I can find and than I buy. And if it doesn't feel right, I'll return it. The fastest in benchmarks are to be considered.

Now it is unlikely to get stuttering and freezing, like when the first gen. of SSD's had the problem, so u really had to check. Now the differences are not that great anymore. What I look for is how it does in copying small files, unzipping archives, instead of some synthetic test. Real life use. I like OCZ, Intel - for SSD.

Anyways I have OCZ Vertex2, and it is great, it beats my Velociraptor300GB any time. Now u have a gen. newer more advanced and faster. I am working on upgrade to SB i7 if 2700K will see the light or 2600K, so I'll have to upgrade everything vital. And what I read about them they are top again.

I don't know anyone, who went back to HDD.

BTW, in real life Agility3 is behind Vertex3. But in use, most people will not see any differences.

---------------------------------
"I want quality, NOTICEABLE speeds, and good price, do you guys still think OCZ Vertex 3 is my best option?. "

1.NOTICEABLE speeds /check
2.Good price - I thing so /check
3.OCZ Vertex 3 is my best option - I do /check

-IMHO-

I did. I purchased a Kingston ssdNOW 100V+ 96GB SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd when newegg had it on sale for $99.99. It works for me.

Two comparisions from annadtech using PCMark Vantage. This is much closer to a real life test. They are somewhat dated, reason this is important is that it does NOT use the latest Firmware. Crucial updated to Version 9 which provided a performance boost while I'm guessing that the OCZ was tested with 2.06 (could have been 2.02) and is upto 2.13. OCZ update firmware for some decreased performance in an effort to reduce the problems with the SF2281 controller.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup/6
and
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-patriot-wildfire-ssds-reviewed/8

First link: Remember it takes about 10 - 15% boost to even begin to see an improvement. In terms of the overall score The Vertex 3 and the agility 3 are almost Identical. Comparing the Vertex 3 on SATA III and an Intel 510 on the slower SATA II the diference is ONLY 16%. The 2nd link adds the Curcial M4, But it is the 256 GB which is slightly faster than ther 128 gig model. Note: (1) Increasing the size improves performance (2) if it does not show (6 GB) then it is on a sata II interface.

For individual test they break down to gaming, or productivity scores.

Additional thoughts:
(1) I look at reliability/potential problems with initial build as more important that the small diff in performance. Using newegg (I know take with a grain of salt - But that salt should be the same). Agility III @ $170 1/2 egges = 37% and only 55% 4/5 eggs verse the m4 ($194) @ only 12% 1/2 eggs and 86% 4/5 eggs. Note Bout my M4's were around $175 - bought on sale. Reason for Agility III low price is a move buy OCZ to compensate for bad press.
(2) Look at the forum comments (note OCZ has deleted some threads).
(3) personal. Based on the problems I had with the Agility III and reviewing OCZ forum comments by OCZ rep - I have vowed tha OCZ will never see the light of day in my systems. That is NOT to say I will not buy a SFxxxx based SSD in the future, just that it will not be a OCZ product. Yes there are many that swear by OCZ, just not me.
(4) I'd even consider the Samsung 470 (a SATA II SSD), probably the Best interms of least consumer problems. They are releasing a SATA III version in the near future, and depending on reviews and pricing that may be the Best choice.

Solution

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

If you buy an OCZ you'll really feel the difference. It will die right after you get it and you will be back to running a mechanical drive. Check the failure feedback on newegg.com.

Crucial and Intel seem to have the best reliability.