First Build Help Please

Hi, i would really appreciate some advice as this is my first build, i will list the products i am thinking of buying...

Case - Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Black ATX Case

Motherboard - ASUS SKT-AM2+ M3N-HT DELUXE MEMPIPE S/V/L 5200MT/s

Memory - Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL7 2.0V

Power Supply - Corsair HX1000W

Hardrive - WD Caviar Black 640gb

Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive (Black)

Graphics Card - BFG 896Mb nVidia GeForce GTX 275 OCX PCI-Express VGA Card

I am hoping after a few months to run a second one of these graphics cards in sli.

I will be using my 22 inch Benq monitor and will probably buy a copy of windows 7 home edition 64 bit for this setup.

I would really appreciate some advice and opinons on this build, maybe some compatibility information and different ideas instead of the components i've chosen such as the graphics card as i know theres such a wide selection out there. Also if i should look into any additional cooling.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, il look forward to the feedback.
9 answers Last reply
More about first build please
  1. Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Black ATX Case

Antec TruePower New 750W Blue LED Fan Modular PSU - 80plus Bronze and SLI Certified

ASUS P7P55D PRO iP55 Socket LGA 1156 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

LG GH22NS50 22x SATA DVD±RW Dual Layer & RAM Black Bare Drive - OEM

ATI Radeon 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - Retail

G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1156/1366) [RR-B10-212P-GP]
  2. or
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X Socket AM3 8 channel audio ATX Motherboar

everything else the same
  3. Hi i have looked at everything you have suggested and i may consider going for a setup more like you have listed. But could you tell me if what i originally chose is a decent setup and compatible, as i am new to this and i would appreciate some information on the setup i first designed, thanks.
  4. obsidian86's builds are all-around better builds. I would highly consider the Intel build. My work blocks access to, but I don't see a CPU listed in the first build.
  5. The power supply you chose is overkill. You could easily use a 600-650w ps.

The F3 is a faster hard drive than the one you chose since it only uses one platter.

Obisidians first post is referring to an i5 750...

You graphics card is fine..the 5850 is a better card with dx11 but I would not pay that price for it.

DDR3 ram + mobo is the way to go since ddr2 is dying and the prices are increasing.
  6. I chose that psu because i was going to hopefully run 2 of those cards in sli eventually and i have noticed people prefer intel builds and the ati cards such as the 5850, i am from the uk but converted i have about $1200-$1350 to spend on my new build. Im mainly going to be using it for gaming so id like to hear any other setup ideas aswell, thanks.
  7. obsidian86 already offered a couple different superior builds. What more do you want? You do NOT need a 1000W PSU for two GPU's. A quality 750W PSU is plenty. You also don't want to build around DDR2 RAM since it's in the process of being phased out.
  8. Hi, thanks a lot for everyones help, i am going to go with the 5850 and the AMD phenom 955 and i will build around DDR3 as suggested. So im basically going to go with what obsidian86 listed in the first post apart from the motherboard.
  9. Slight problem with using the motherboard from your first post. It can't use DDR3.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product