Can i install XFX 9600 GT of my dell optiplex gx280?

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

i dont think you'll have any space at all and most slim desktop provide mini atx power, so first check if there's any pcie slot first(which such model rarely seem in the series since it is mini atx) if it does then buy yourself a new case (mid tower or standard, not mini tower!!!) and a decent power supply( at least 450watt or above and over 300watt at 12v+ rail combine power when maximum load.) and it will also require 6pin pcie plug too. 305 watts mini atx? you can't be serious....

PS: since gx280 is a really old system, and most of model did offere only ONE pci slot for expansion purpose. and some model did offere editional agp slot, so even if luck you'll probably end up have to get a agp card, and most likely it would be agp 4x. which means you need a new system.

problem is his mobo has no pcie slot at all(at best, agp.....but i'm not sure most of model had since many of them end up only have one pci expansion slot left.....) without pcie there is noway he can install a 9600gt on his gx280. tiny case/no power/no pcie slot/no agp slot i really dont think there anyway beside change that piece of crap.

caution: nvidia did not provide any model for apg bus after geforce 7 so he'd probably have to look up for gfx 7600s or radeon 3650.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

pcie x16............on dell's 478 machine? especially on mini optiplex?

that is really rare.........

i dont know what to say now......

PS: wait...hold on there..the dell specification has plenty of error. netburst pentium 4 has 32kb l1 cache???????and apparantly this one is northwood not prescott core so there is no way it has 1mb l2 cache(only on garlatin but i doubt the possibility that it will be on the machine like optiplex....) and granstdale is oem version of i915 which is noway it can support ddr2&pcie feature(only i965 does). so this link is basically a haox....

2 posts, both failures
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-stakes-vision-pc-future-775-launch,830-22.html

colonel vanik

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
first of all , all the gx280s have a pcie16x slot .
2ndly i dnt think you should go with 9600gt cuz it requires a 6pin power connector.
you should take a gt240 which is more powerful and requires lesser power than the 9600gt.
i personally have a gx280 Small mini tower with 250 watts.
so in my opinion any card without a 6pin molex will go fine with you unless your system has something out of the ordinary like 4hdds (not possible in 280's casing).