Digitizing video help needed

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 24, 2005 6:55:19 PM

I would like to build a box to convert svideo and composite video to a
digital format for burning to a dvd. I have read a lot of this group, as
well as other pages, but am still learning. I am uncertain at this point if
I should get a cature card, such as the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150, or perhaps
one of the new USB converters, like the Plextor PX-AV100U.

I would like to speed advantage of hardware encoding, if possible, but am
having a difficult time figuring out which cards have it, or perhaps none of
them have it in my price range - $100-150.

Some questions:

Does the Hauppauge card have hardware encoding? Is this the right card to
get for my purposes? I have my Dirctivo, so don't really care about the PVR
functions right now, though I may in the future.

Is anybody using the Plextor PX-AV100U? Is it any good, or should I look at
something else? It is about the only capture device I have found that will
capture in MPEG 4. Is that important? I assume it gives higher quality video
in smaller file sizes.

The main impetus right now is to record saved programs from the Directivo,
using the save to vcr function, so I would like to maintain the highest
quality of video I can. Later, I would like to see about hacking the unit.
From what I have read here, I should be able to transfer these files to my
pc and burn them from there. Do I have this part right? There must be a
program to convert from Tivo format to something more standard, right?

Thank you all for any help/comments.
Harvey
September 24, 2005 7:33:52 PM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 14:55:19 -0400, Harvey wrote:

> Does the Hauppauge card have hardware encoding? Is this the right card to
> get for my purposes? I have my Dirctivo, so don't really care about the PVR
> functions right now, though I may in the future.

The PVR-150 has hardware encoding, but only the PVR-350 has hardware
decoding. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare_pvr.html

I've not used one, and can't comment on performance.

Jim
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 11:25:02 PM

"Jim" <spidergawdnospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.09.24.19.33.51.410551@comcast.net...
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 14:55:19 -0400, Harvey wrote:
>
>> Does the Hauppauge card have hardware encoding? Is this the right card to
>> get for my purposes? I have my Dirctivo, so don't really care about the
>> PVR
>> functions right now, though I may in the future.
>
> The PVR-150 has hardware encoding, but only the PVR-350 has hardware
> decoding. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare_pvr.html
>
> I've not used one, and can't comment on performance.
>
> Jim

So this would mean that digitizing would be faster, but playback would be
just the same as playing a DVD now? I mean, if playback is fine now, I don't
think that I would be concerned about hardware decoding, right?

Thanks,
Harvey
September 24, 2005 11:25:03 PM

On 2005-09-24, Harvey <here@there.com> wrote:

> "Jim" <spidergawdnospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.09.24.19.33.51.410551@comcast.net...
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 14:55:19 -0400, Harvey wrote:
>>
>>> Does the Hauppauge card have hardware encoding? Is this the right card to
>>> get for my purposes? I have my Dirctivo, so don't really care about the
>>> PVR
>>> functions right now, though I may in the future.
>>
>> The PVR-150 has hardware encoding, but only the PVR-350 has hardware
>> decoding. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare_pvr.html
>>
>> I've not used one, and can't comment on performance.
>>
>> Jim
>
> So this would mean that digitizing would be faster, but playback would be
> just the same as playing a DVD now? I mean, if playback is fine now, I don't
> think that I would be concerned about hardware decoding, right?
>
> Thanks,
> Harvey

The encoding would be smoother, less dropped frames. The playback would
be less taxing on the system. I'd imagine that for your stated purpose
this wouldn't be as important as for one using the card for a PVR, which
could be recording and playing back simultaneously.

The 350 also has TV-out.

Jim
September 24, 2005 11:27:52 PM

Harvey wrote:
> I would like to build a box to convert svideo and composite video to a
> digital format for burning to a dvd. I have read a lot of this group, as
> well as other pages, but am still learning. I am uncertain at this point if
> I should get a cature card, such as the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150, or perhaps
> one of the new USB converters, like the Plextor PX-AV100U.
>
> I would like to speed advantage of hardware encoding, if possible, but am
> having a difficult time figuring out which cards have it, or perhaps none of
> them have it in my price range - $100-150.
>
> Some questions:
>
> Does the Hauppauge card have hardware encoding? Is this the right card to
> get for my purposes? I have my Dirctivo, so don't really care about the PVR
> functions right now, though I may in the future.
>
> Is anybody using the Plextor PX-AV100U? Is it any good, or should I look at
> something else? It is about the only capture device I have found that will
> capture in MPEG 4. Is that important? I assume it gives higher quality video
> in smaller file sizes.
>
> The main impetus right now is to record saved programs from the Directivo,
> using the save to vcr function, so I would like to maintain the highest
> quality of video I can. Later, I would like to see about hacking the unit.
> From what I have read here, I should be able to transfer these files to my
> pc and burn them from there. Do I have this part right? There must be a
> program to convert from Tivo format to something more standard, right?
>
> Thank you all for any help/comments.
> Harvey

Not that there aren't smart people here but you may want to also post at
rec.video.desktop
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 5:18:45 PM

"Spider Dawg" <Spidergawdnospam@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 2005-09-24, Harvey <here@there.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Jim
>>
>> So this would mean that digitizing would be faster, but playback would be
>> just the same as playing a DVD now? I mean, if playback is fine now, I
>> don't
>> think that I would be concerned about hardware decoding, right?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harvey
>
> The encoding would be smoother, less dropped frames. The playback would
> be less taxing on the system. I'd imagine that for your stated purpose
> this wouldn't be as important as for one using the card for a PVR, which
> could be recording and playing back simultaneously.
>
> The 350 also has TV-out.
>
> Jim

Thanks!
Harvey