Overclocking help

CharlieJeffy

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hi,

I've got an old PC and I recently got a new CPU. A core 2 duo E6300, my motherboard supports up to Core 2 Extreme, which I didn't find for sale, so I got this CPU. I've got a Gigabyte 945-GME-DS2. It's an old mobo. I tried booting to bios settings, to see if I can overclock. I didn't find any "voltage settings", "overclocking", or anything like that. What should I do? (don't say "Buy a new motherboard.", because I need help. I read that you can OC with this mobo, so I should be able to do it too)

Regards,

Charlie

scottiemedic

Distinguished
What options do you have in the BIOS? I checked Gigabytes site again and it appears you have rev 2.0 since you are using F4 (rev 3.0 did FC as latest). Both the manuals show the same options, with Frequency at the bottom left. Have you tried clearing CMOS? I can't imagine that would be it, but I'm at a loss if the BIOS doesn't have the options that the manual has...

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Wait, might have found something in the manual:

1. If you don't find the settings you want, press "Ctrl+F1" to access advanced options.
2. Select the Load Optimized Defaults item in the BIOS Setup when somehow the system is not stable as usual. This action makes the system reset to the default settings for stability.
3. The BIOS Setup menus described in this chapter are for reference only and may differ from the exact settings for your motherboard.

CharlieJeffy

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Okay, I found Frequency/Voltage Control. I went in it, I saw "System multiplier", or something like that and frequency, or something near that and the frequency was grayed out and it had 667 set.

CharlieJeffy

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Here's the exact settings I found:

System Memory Multiplier and that was set on Auto.

(grayed out)Memory Frequency, which was set to 667.

What should I do now?

CharlieJeffy

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I set the multiplier to 1.5 and the memory frequency was automatically set to 455. It was still grayed out and no other settings appeared. Those two are all the settings I've got.