Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSI 560 TI TWIN FROZR

Last response: in Overclocking
March 26, 2012 10:55:37 PM

Hey everyone, got alittle issue with my GPU. Whenever I run 3DMARK Vantage my computer just restarts after about 4 seconds into the benchmark. Does this mean my GPU can't handle the overclock? This would be my first time ever trying to overclock my GPU/ or using 3DMARK Vantage..Heres a screenshot of what my MSI Afterburner looks like....

CPU: I5-2500K OC @ 4.3 (done automatically with AI SUITE ii)
MOBO: P8P67-PRO REV 3.1 (RUNNING LATEST BIOS)
GPU: MSI 560 TI TWIN FROZER
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ 8GB (2X4)
SSD: OCZ AGILITY 3 60GB (LOADS OS + STEAM)
HDD: WD BLUE 500GB
COOLER: CM HYPER 212+ EVO (PUSH/PULL) Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
CASE: HAF X 922
PSU: ANTEC ECO 620W
FAN SETUP : TOP 200MM EXHAUST, REAR 120MM EXHAUST, FRONT 200MM INTAKE, BOTTOM 120MM INTAKE

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks for the help!

More about : msi 560 twin frozr

March 27, 2012 1:28:58 AM

Update: I returned my GPU to stock settings, and ran 3D MARK 11, which completed and gave me an above average score for my hardware setup, but since then my computer has froze twice while wactching youtube. The screen just turns into pinkish purple blurr, and I have to force a restart. Did I do damage to my GPU from the above displayed settings?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 110 K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 7:34:52 AM

ashehadeh1 said:
Update: I returned my GPU to stock settings, and ran 3D MARK 11, which completed and gave me an above average score for my hardware setup, but since then my computer has froze twice while wactching youtube. The screen just turns into pinkish purple blurr, and I have to force a restart. Did I do damage to my GPU from the above displayed settings?

The only way to permanently damage a graphics card (or any component, for that matter) is high temperature and voltage, so as long as it didn't get too hot, and you didn't raise the voltage much (if you even did at all), it should be fine. Beyond that, I really have no idea what would be causing that, other than a driver issue, but if it worked fine before, I doubt that's it. It could just be that the card is bad to begin with and needs to be RMA'd; overclocking just made it show up quicker.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 29, 2012 8:32:57 AM

Looking at your MSI Afterburner window it looks like you haven't raised the voltage.

Subject to you having sufficient cooling in your system you should be able to achieve the following if you raise the volatage to 1.075 (you have to enable voltage tweak in the settings within MSI Afterburner as it's disabled as default).

1000 -1025 MHz on your core
1100 - 1180 MHz Memory
2000 - 2060 Mhz Shader

If your temps seem a little high you can always try changing your bottom fan to a side fan. The bottom fan might actually be counter acting the front intake fan, restricting air movement around the card.

I'm running almost the same set up as you (overclocked 2500K with an overclocked 560Ti) and I am getting the following on the GPU with it's voltage tweaked to 1.075:

1020 Core
1150 Memory
2040 Shader

My systems is stable with these settings. Be careful when tweaking the voltages, as you can see that's only a 0.063mV raise.

EDIT: That doesn't address why when you returned to stock you still have issues. If you returned to stock after trying to overclock it had the card had enough time to cool down? It could be it was still running a higher than normal temp if you just did a restart? Suggest you leave it 20 mins and try again. Keep tabs on your heat, friend had near on identical rig to mine (much like yours) and we found that the bottom intake fan on his rig was actually restricting air movement around the card as it was pushing the inbound air from the front intake up and over the GPU and pushing the inbound air more toward the CPU. He swapped the bottom fan for another front fan and that cured the problem. Although side fan would do a better job
March 30, 2012 12:58:01 AM

Very Helpful feedback, thank you! I can't seem to unlock my voltage via AB, is your GPU the MSI 560 ti as well? I've read a few threads and watched some videos on how to do it, but it just won't unlock.

Also I bought the HAF 922 case with the side panel window x_x so I can't mount a side fan. Would I be better off just removing the bottom intake fan?
m
l
April 6, 2012 5:56:58 AM

Best answer selected by ashehadeh1.
m
l
!