Overclocking bulldozer 5 ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyd

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
i have an 8120 under water on a sabertooth 990FX
i need help getting it to boot and validate @5.1GHz. it wont let me take the voltage over 1.55GHz, it gives me a cpu overvolt error.

Solution

Congratulations you're almost there, you'll get better advice from fellow club members and from a dedicated overclocking website.

http://www.overclock.net/t/875250/the-2ghz-overclock-club

This website has never been about recommending and aiding suicide runs, even though we have an overclock section, overclocking is not a Toms Hardware main perspective...

Well its a good thing it wont let you because that voltage is not okay with an FX chip. Keep it under 1.5 unless you feel like buying a new one in less than month. If you can't boot and validate 5.1ghz then you cant run 5.1ghz. Try bringing the clock speed down.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Dude 1.55V that is insaine...sometimes it is just the chip you buy. Not every chip will make it to 5Ghz...I have almost the same setup but run 8150... The highest I reach was 5.26Ghz but it was not stable and I did not wanted to push over 1.5V
I got it stable at almost 5Ghz(4.95) at 1.42~1.46V the voltage moves up and down so
Anyway, they you are pushing it it will blow on you for sure. Settle for little less and be happy...The best benefit and sweet spot is at 4.6Ghz actually anything higher makes scores go lower...at least in my case

Good luck.

phillyd

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
sorry, i dnt want this to be a stable OC, i have it @4.6 on 1.425v stable when i want it. i will boot, validate, and return it to these settings.
in this run, risk is involved. im mainly looking into other things to adjust to get it to bump.
i am an experienced overclocker, i just want some other opinions.

Well give us a list of your current settings and we'll try to help you get a little higher. What is your reference clock and your multiplier?

What is your NB freq and have you downspeeded your RAM to compensate for FSB adjustment?

If I were you I would be happy with my 4.6ghz. Besides a club that accepts overclocks that aren't stable seems like a joke. What validity does a high overclock have if it cant run anything? None, if it isn't stable then its unusable, if its unusable its a fail. With the 4.6ghz stable you have done really well, be happy with that OC its nice.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Yap I agree. I now run 4.2 heck I might tune it to stock because there is no need to burn even more power and get 1-3FPS when you run close to 60FPS...anyway I play C&C decade so 486DX CPU would run that game anyway :D

phillyd

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
its something of an accomplishment getting 5GHz to boot and validate, try it some time!
and i dnt care about performance gains, stop questioning my reasoning, i want to get in the club, its that simple

anyone know how to raise the voltage over 1.55v on my board?

phillyd

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
you're running a system with an Phenom II 840, you have no credibility on the matter. 5.0GHz stable is insanely hard, you need a great chip, and great cooling. Get back to me when youve done it.

Had a FX-6100, could boot and validate at 5.0ghz, not stable though. Sold the chip because this 980BE outperforms the bulldozer. The bulldozer has such crap IPC that I'd rather have a 840 for what I use the PC for which is primarily gaming. This is a 980BE I'm on, also better at gaming than your CPU. I'm not getting in a pissing match with some kid. Go ahead and fry your chip to get into some neato club.

There is no need to be insulting when somebody is being nice enough to spend their time helping you.
What you want to do with your CPU is your business.
If you want to fry a $189 CPU then have fun with that.
at minimum wage of $7 an hour times 20 hrs a week
you will have to work two weeks to afford a new one when you fry this one.
I appreciate good overclocks but not when they are dangerous to hardware.
In this economy nobody has money to burn like that.
Unless they live at home with Mommy

Dude, seriously? You're not gonna get ANYONE to help you with an attitude like that. It doesn't matter what processor a person has or doesn't have personally, it matters that they have the (correct) knowledge to be able to help you, and stickg, in particular, seems to know what he's talking about.

Regardless, you seem to know all you need to know as far as how to get to where you want to get to, and the simple fact is that that chip may just not be able to do 5.1Ghz at any sane voltage.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Ive been to 5.0 ghz, voltage was over what I wanted to run so I don't care to run it again. currently 4.68 ghz, 268 fsb, 17.5x 1.344V, NB 2400+, HT 2900+

Something to keep in mind when trying to kill your cpu, there is more than one voltage and that is the key.

Cpu v
CPU NB V
CPU HT V
NB V
HT v (can't remember right off wich ones are actually there but there are a lot)

RussK1

Splendid

Credibility huh?

cpuz.jpg

Can I be part of the "Club"... NOT

Even if you get there you'll never get it 100% stable I've never really understood claiming a CPU-Z validation on a completely known unstable computer, all my posted CPU validations are 100% stable.

Getting into a club that could cost you a perfectly fine CPU or damage it's performance makes absolutely no sense to me what do you get in return?

If that is your goal at least run some benchmarks and lets see what that CPU will do at that 2ghz overclock, but I guarantee it won't run any benchmarks at that clock, it won't be stable enough to run them, it will probably barely stay stable to get a CPU-Z validation.

But it's your money to do with as you see fit! Good Luck!

This is what I'm talking about.

51ghzWin764bit.png

WinXP51GScreenshot.jpg

its something of an accomplishment getting 5GHz to boot and validate, try it some time!
and i dnt care about performance gains, stop questioning my reasoning, i want to get in the club, its that simple

anyone know how to raise the voltage over 1.55v on my board?

You really should rethink your goal, getting to 5ghz as you say is an accomplishment, but the CPU simply has to be able to get there, and stability is another accomplishment altogether.

You've made it clear you are not concerned with stability.

You'd have to volt mod the motherboard if those voltages above 1.55v are not available to you. (Warranty Gone)

Disable all the CPUs features, and lower your water temperature down to at least 15c, AMDs overclock higher the cooler you can run them.

I feel I'm contributing to your hardware demise, but like I said, It's your money, and you do this at your own risk! Ryan

One more thing: Have you considered regarding this 2ghz club, that most are not going to share exactly how they are cooling their setups? They may very well be using cooling solutions way better than yours, there is more you can do even if 1.55v is as high as you can go, if you can lower the load temperature window of operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.