snappyllama

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I've heard that the version of Windows XP that everybody is downloading is actually just the beta.(build 2002 vs build 2600). I thought the beta didn't require a serial #, If thats true why does build 2002 need one? Nothing seems to be disabled or non functional in release 2002. Anyway I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me figure this out P.S. Does anybody know how to make direcpc work in Windows XP??

G

to find out you build of XP click on 'run' and type 'winver'. i dont think there was a version 2002.....i think some people on the net are getting confused because they right click on 'my computer', select 'properties' and they see it says version '2002'. thats just microsofts way of saying it windows 2002, otherwise known as XP. most people on the net are propably downloading the corporate version of the final build (2600). thats why it doesnt require activation or registration.

ignore everything i say

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have the retail version (legally), but used the wincorp files (13 MB) to get rid of the hardware registration. If I type winver I get build 2600 so I think it's safe to say that anyone with 2600 is in good shape.

This is a mute discussion too considering that WinXP was released today.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

snappyllama

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
antivirus you are 100% correct. I've also heard of some sort of add-on pack or pro plus. I'm curious as to what it does. Anyone out there with the answer? (by the way thanks antivirus)

snappyllama

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Maybe a mute point but I'm glad someone was willing to set the record straight, If for nothing more than posteritys(spelling?) sake. Thanks again for the input....

G

the plus pack for winxp is just a box of add-ons that are frankly kind of silly....new colors for the GUI, dancing jellyfish for the media player, etc. how does microsoft release a new version of windows 2000 (all XP is really is win2k with pretty colors and some minor adjustments to the kernal), charge us a couple hundred bucks for it, then make us register it like common criminals, then charge us another thirty bucks for the plus pack!!!!!!!! jesus, somebody come up with a new alternative, please!!!! these guys are really irritating me....

ignore everything i say

snappyllama

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Microsoft has kinda made a habit of doing stuff like that..... I think that if win xp doesn't really turn out to be something better the majority of people will finally figure that out (look at win me as an example, what was the point of that one???:) I'm Still running 98SE but all the hype is effecting my brain since for me the stability of my OS has become an issue.. So Forget all the bloatware give me a stable expandable, and intuitive Platform And I'll be happy, I guess we are about to find out about Microsoft new miracle... The anticipation is killing me :))))

G

windows ME is a good example. remember all the hype that went along with that release.....man, it wasnt anything more than windows 98se with new colors in the GUI. same thing with XP. ive been running build 2600 now for a couple of weeks (dont ask) adn its just windows 2000 with pretty colors and a few helpful features like 'remote assistance'. im finishing up my MCSE exams for windows 2000, and all microsoft will say about windows XP to us MCSE's is that dont worry, its the same thing as windows 2000. but somehow they convince people its a HUGE improvement over windows 2000. it is an improvement (it does start up faster - barely), but how can it be such an enormous change from previous versions if it is the same core of windows 2000? geez.....i dont know, man......

ignore everything i say