Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Radiator size needed

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 27, 2012 4:13:46 AM

Im am planning to water cool the new ivy bridge i7 when it arrives. I want to overclock it to 4.8 maybe 5 with good temp. I will have the cm storm trooper so I can fit a 240mm rad. I want a good rad that can keep my temps with prime 95 at 70c max. I plan to use the new noctua fans to. The two rads I am looking at are the black ice sr-1 and the ek Coolstream xtc. Also what water block would you consider I really like the ek hf supreme. The en one that stops corrosion. I will list the other parts below. Thanks for the feed back

Water block: ek supreme Hf en
Pump: ek dcp 4.0 12 volt
Reservoir: Ek Multioption RES X2 - 150 Advanced
Rad:?
Coolant: ek blue

More about : radiator size needed

March 28, 2012 1:24:28 AM

V1zion said:
Im am planning to water cool the new ivy bridge i7 when it arrives. I want to overclock it to 4.8 maybe 5 with good temp. I will have the cm storm trooper so I can fit a 240mm rad. I want a good rad that can keep my temps with prime 95 at 70c max. I plan to use the new noctua fans to. The two rads I am looking at are the black ice sr-1 and the ek Coolstream xtc. Also what water block would you consider I really like the ek hf supreme. The en one that stops corrosion. I will list the other parts below. Thanks for the feed back

Water block: ek supreme Hf en
Pump: ek dcp 4.0 12 volt
Reservoir: Ek Multioption RES X2 - 150 Advanced
Rad:?
Coolant: ek blue


I'm realy clueless about watercooling but most poeple won't comment on ivy-bridge since they aren't even released yet (and now the release date is set for june they just keep pushing back the release date). And only a 2fan rad might not be enough. If you read the sticky you can do the math to see how much heat a 2rad can take and the speed of fan. But an Overclocked PCU + 680gtx I doubt that a 2fan rad could make it on a reasonable noise level but again I'm kinda clueless.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 28, 2012 1:30:24 AM

Depending on what you actually want to do, what you are cooling and how much you want to spend, there are different options that we can help with. While EK does make some good components, any reason you are choosing all EK?

Quote:
But an Overclocked PCU + 680gtx I doubt that a 2fan rad could make it on a reasonable noise level but again I'm kinda clueless.


I'm not sure he is going to cool a GTX 680 as I didn't see it listed above. However, if he is, we can work on that, but you are correct; he will need to correctly account for what he wants to cool and at what clock speeds.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 4:29:21 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Depending on what you actually want to do, what you are cooling and how much you want to spend, there are different options that we can help with. While EK does make some good components, any reason you are choosing all EK?

Quote:
But an Overclocked PCU + 680gtx I doubt that a 2fan rad could make it on a reasonable noise level but again I'm kinda clueless.


I'm not sure he is going to cool a GTX 680 as I didn't see it listed above. However, if he is, we can work on that, but you are correct; he will need to correctly account for what he wants to cool and at what clock speeds.

I will only be cooling the CPU. Maybe the gpu but unlikely. I don't really have a reason for choosing ek. The CPU block because of the clear top. The pump I really don't know. If you have a better pump around the say flow rate a price I would be interested. There resivoirs are nice to. I chose the cooling because they are the only ones with a good blue I can find.
If you have any suggestion please tell. I'm going for a blue and black theme. But I think black and white would be cool (it is called a strom trooper) let me know what color theme to.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 28, 2012 12:05:12 PM

CPU only- decent pump for smaller loops:

http://jab-tech.com/XSPC-Rasa-750-RX240-CPU-watercooling-kit-pr-4779.html

CPU only - great pump
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14569/ex-wat-185/Swiftech_H20-220_EDGE_HD_Series_Liquid_Cooling_Kit_-_Black_CPU_Block_Universal_Mount.html?tl=g30c83s137

CPU only - great pump
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15402/ex-wat-207/XSPC_Raystorm_RX240_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_RX240_Radiator_and_Free_Kill_Coil_Hot_item.html?tl=g30c83s137

Any of these kits are a great buy- if you are thinking of expanding to cooling your GPU, you might consider these kits with a 3x120 radiator vs. the 2x120 radiator.

These are a simple way to go if you are just cooling a CPU for now and don't want to use a Corsair or Asetek LCS cooler.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2012 8:16:39 PM

I don't like dyed coolant as it will color the inside of your components, copper, hoses, resivoir, ect. Colored hoses >>> dye. I purchased 1 gallon of de-ionized (distilled works as well) water for $1.20 and still have half a gallon left after 3 flushes (adding components).
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 28, 2012 8:42:17 PM

^Agreed. There isn't any real purpose for these coolants other than color. Some will advertise corrosion inhibitors, but you shouldn't have an issue with corrosion in a loop if you have quality components. That being said, EK has a strict policy stating that corrosion inhibitors are needed for use with their blocks (dating back to the nickel plating debacle). EK blocks apparently 'require' corrosion inhibitors, but other manufacturers do not. Do the math.
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 1:34:32 AM

None of this answeres my question. I don't care about the blocks they look good and the en version stops the corrosion. And lots of people have dyed liquid. I'm going for the uv effect so uv blue in a radiator is nicer then clear water. Now I'm looking at the koolance block. But I still want radiator answeres.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 2:02:07 AM

I think you are meaning reservoir, with the intent of seeing the water.

If you are just going to cool a CPU, you really might consider an XSPC kit, either with the X20 pump (cheaper) or with the upgraded D5. The D5 would be highly beneficial if you ever decide to expand your loop, but the X20 is widely used to push loops through a CPU and 1 and even 2 GPUs. There are also Swiftech kits to consider as well...for what you are looking into with your components above, you could easily get into a kit. EK also makes kits with very similar components you listed, as well.

Any sites you are looking at ordering from?
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 4:01:50 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I think you are meaning reservoir, with the intent of seeing the water.

If you are just going to cool a CPU, you really might consider an XSPC kit, either with the X20 pump (cheaper) or with the upgraded D5. The D5 would be highly beneficial if you ever decide to expand your loop, but the X20 is widely used to push loops through a CPU and 1 and even 2 GPUs. There are also Swiftech kits to consider as well...for what you are looking into with your components above, you could easily get into a kit. EK also makes kits with very similar components you listed, as well.

Any sites you are looking at ordering from?

I'm looking on performance pc. It doesn't really matter as long as they ship to Canada. I will order from multiple sites. And I'm only looking to cool the CPU at the moment hopefully to 5ghz when ivy bridge Is released. I might also cool a 7870. Also what about the mayhem pastel. With there non corrosive additive amd there super pure h20 the sell?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 5:06:17 AM

Black ice has some nice rads, and as for the cpu block i would go for the EK one you listed, or the swiftech apogee xt, although I think the Ek supreme is better, it runs a few degrees lower in benchmarks. As for the rad, as said before black ice is good, but you need to decide weather you want a silent system, using low RPM fans, or if that is not too important to you. As for coolant, you may want to be careful as they may clog up your system, it is recommended to use distilled water, with a kill coil (silver coil) to prevent algae growth.

Hope this helps!
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 6:19:37 AM

V1zion said:
I'm looking on performance pc. It doesn't really matter as long as they ship to Canada. I will order from multiple sites. And I'm only looking to cool the CPU at the moment hopefully to 5ghz when ivy bridge Is released. I might also cool a 7870. Also what about the mayhem pastel. With there non corrosive additive amd there super pure h20 the sell?



hello there, let's get started on addressing those issues. personally I like the black ice radiator for systems that are limited on space, and you're looking for things to be on the inside of the case.(do not totally dismiss the idea of mounting things on the outside of your case it will give you more options) now as for removing the heat on a clocked processor that is a hard one(will need to see what the temps get to on that ). now on to that EK issue, I have bought EK and still use them today. not overly thrilled with the construction of these products, but it's functional, and other than replacing the factory seals haven't had any real issues to speak of out of them. BUT IN BIG LETTERS!! there are two things that defiantly, concern me, one is the reactive dye you plan to use, pleases do not use this stuff. there are other ways to get the glow effect. (my preferred method is to use a clear coat glow paint, on the blocks, tubing, and even the little things inside the case like screw heads ) antifreeze looks cool under that lighting as well. now about that problem with cerotic corrosion, this is a real issue. what happens is the water over time becomes charged with small pieces of metal floating around in the system,( no you can't see them) these start to change at a molecular level, and this changes the ph of the water, turning it into a acid. this will, and has destroyed blocks, literally eating a channel to the outside, so adding wetter water as a additive to the system prevents this from occurring .
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 4, 2012 2:29:22 PM

fil1p said:
Black ice has some nice rads, and as for the cpu block i would go for the EK one you listed, or the swiftech apogee xt, although I think the Ek supreme is better, it runs a few degrees lower in benchmarks. As for the rad, as said before black ice is good, but you need to decide weather you want a silent system, using low RPM fans, or if that is not too important to you. As for coolant, you may want to be careful as they may clog up your system, it is recommended to use distilled water, with a kill coil (silver coil) to prevent algae growth.

Hope this helps!


I would tend to disagree unless you are meaning Black Ice SR1 series. Most of the older BIX rads are very high FPI and require high rpm/static pressure fans to fully perform as designed. For the money, you can buy radiators that perform easily as well with lower FPI to use slower fans (also cheaper fans).

These would be my suggestions for kits; you'd want to stick with 2x120 and above rads, no need to choose a single 120.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_604&products_id=32744
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_604&products_id=32746
(there are black and white CPU block versions for both the above)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_202_972
Just about any kit on this page except for the 120 versions. The D5 and DDC pump upgrades will be more powerful if you decide to upgrade later and add more components.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_202_946

Most of these kits would be great as well...you would just avoid the 120 versions as these would only have a 120 radiator.
m
0
l
!