Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Build, Half Done *Updated*

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2009 9:49:44 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Doing it right now BUDGET RANGE: $2000-2250

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. Watch Blurays. Internet surfing.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU, Mobo. Not sure about video card.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, If I can figure out how to. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: If I need to, yeah.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 (or is 1920x1200 better for gaming?)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I might need a guild to figure out how to throw all this stuff together!

Case: Bought.
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU:
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Bought.
ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard Drive:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

RAM: Bought.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

Power Supply: Bought.
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

Monitor:
Samsung SyncMaster XL2370

Bluray Drive:
LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner

CPU Fan:
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Speakers: Bought.
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System

Keyboard: Bought.
Logitech 920-000914 Black 106 Normal Keys Wired Ultra-thin Illuminated Keyboard

Mouse: Bought.
RAZER DeathAdder RZ01-00150100-R3M1 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Optical 1800 dpi High Precision Gaming Mouse

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

As you can see, I'm about done, how does this all look? So overall, Rate my build.

More about : build half updated

November 9, 2009 9:57:00 PM

Yeah, but its LED backlit.
Score
Related resources
November 9, 2009 9:59:07 PM

OH LED BACKLIT = 100dollars more!!!@!@!@!@!@
Score
November 9, 2009 11:54:25 PM

Alright, I found a good combo deal for the CPU/Win 7. Added to cart. And the samsung HDD is in my cart too. I want to order a CPU fan.. I was leading toward the hyper 212+ but its out of stock.. and need to order a fan now.

So, can someone suggest a $30-40 1156 CPU fan? I one that is easy to install on a 1156.

Also, I need advice on my bluray player.. I heard some have bloatware on them.. need suggestions on that too. I want to order everything except the video/card and monitor right now, since they are both out of stock.

Also the video card, I'm kinda going for max settings, so a 5870 it is.
Score
November 10, 2009 12:44:39 AM

^You can't wait till black friday and cyber monday to save some money?
Score
November 10, 2009 12:52:47 AM

Thanks guys, what do you think about the bluray player?
Score
November 10, 2009 12:56:45 AM

Kasceis said:
Thanks guys, what do you think about the bluray player?

get the most expensive from newegg :D  , the bluray drive not burner.
Score
November 10, 2009 12:59:02 AM

overshocks said:
^You can't wait till black friday and cyber monday to save some money?

Do you think any of the items I need will be on sale those days?
Score
November 10, 2009 1:10:51 AM

Kasceis said:
Do you think any of the items I need will be on sale those days?

Yes most likely, seeing where the economy of the US is going...

cant wait 2 weeks? then get it.
Score
November 10, 2009 1:11:51 AM

overshocks said:
get the most expensive from newegg :D  , the bluray drive not burner.

Even though the budget is large, I don't have money to throw away. I want the best for a decent price, not just purchasing the most expensive items.
Score
November 10, 2009 1:15:23 AM

Kasceis said:
Even though the budget is large, I don't have money to throw away. I want the best for a decent price, not just purchasing the most expensive items.

^I agree, why do you need one anyways, you buy a lot of blu ray movies?

here. this is oem, the retail is more expensive..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
November 10, 2009 1:20:26 AM

overshocks said:

I have a PS3 for bluray movies on the tv in the living room. This PC is going in the bedroom, and I thought it would be nice to watch blurays movies in bed with the wife. We have netflix for blurays.
Score
November 10, 2009 1:22:39 AM

Kasceis said:
I have a PS3 for bluray movies on the tv in the living room. This PC is going in the bedroom, and I thought it would be nice to watch blurays movies in bed with the wife. We have netflix for blurays.

cool
Score
November 10, 2009 2:17:10 AM

Kasceis said:
Thats not in stock.

just wait a day or two...i'm sure newegg is getting some..
Score
November 10, 2009 2:44:07 AM

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Thinking of getting this since its $20 off /w the combo, and the 212 won't be in stock for a long time on newegg. Does anything know if it will fit nicely or not with my Antec 900 Case and Asus 1156 pro mobo?
Score
November 10, 2009 2:49:40 AM

Kasceis said:
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Thinking of getting this since its $20 off /w the combo, and the 212 won't be in stock for a long time on newegg. Does anything know if it will fit nicely or not with my Antec 900 Case and Asus 1156 pro mobo?

did you miss my post about this..

"Or get the H50 ..around same price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..."

the height of the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is 158mm(without fan)...i use the core contact freezer the height is 155mm..and i use antec 900...there's still half an inch or more space left..

so it fits.. i think it will block your first ram slot because of pull-push config, correct me if im wrong
Score
November 10, 2009 2:54:58 AM

Well... the H50 is $78 dollars.. The Noctua is only $55 with the combo deal.. so its $23 dollars more... I wanted the 212, but it wont be in stock for awhile. This seemed like a good deal, I just wanted to see if it would fit nicely in my case/mobo.
Score
November 10, 2009 3:10:49 AM

Kasceis said:
Well... the H50 is $78 dollars.. The Noctua is only $55 with the combo deal.. so its $23 dollars more... I wanted the 212, but it wont be in stock for awhile. This seemed like a good deal, I just wanted to see if it would fit nicely in my case/mobo.

sigh..your welcome..
Score
November 10, 2009 3:49:20 AM

overshocks said:
sigh..your welcome..

Thanks for all your help overshocks. I've just been planning this build for 2 months and I've finally saved enough money to order the parts... I'm just stressed out about getting everything to be *perfect* for my build. The last thing I need is ordering all this stuff and it not working together. :cry: 

Really, thanks for all the posts... I'm so close to getting done, I'm on edge!
Score
November 10, 2009 3:55:08 AM

Kasceis said:
Thanks for all your help overshocks. I've just been planning this build for 2 months and I've finally saved enough money to order the parts... I'm just stressed out about getting everything to be *perfect* for my build. The last thing I need is ordering all this stuff and it not working together. :cry: 

Really, thanks for all the posts... I'm so close to getting done, I'm on edge!

no problem man.
i think you are done, what are you missing? just get the noctua heatsink then..it's a great heatsink..plus that combo saves..

feel free to post an update of your build..
Score
November 10, 2009 3:59:46 AM

honestly if you ask me with that budget you could have gotten much higher end build parts
Score
November 10, 2009 4:18:38 AM

darksupreme said:
honestly if you ask me with that budget you could have gotten much higher end build parts

that is true, but it's only for gaming.

also, what parts are you suggestin then?
let me guess i7 920 build?
Score
November 10, 2009 4:21:57 AM

of course that and the asus rampage 2 extreme , antec 1200 ,6 gigs ocz platinum ram , ya know the works
Score
November 10, 2009 4:25:55 AM

darksupreme said:
and could have gotten a 5.1 speaker set for relatively the same price

and for the moniter this is one bad motha ( i should know i have it )

and you could grab 2 f3's 500gigs .XD

that monitor is slow in response time ...kinda expensive too..it's 25"..umm

also you can't do i7 920 build because when he made the post, he bought the 4gb ram, p55 mobo and other stuff already...

he can get i5 750 instead of 860..cuz hes mainly gaming..
Score
November 10, 2009 4:33:01 AM

overshocks said:
that monitor is slow in response time ...kinda expensive too..it's 25"..umm

also you can't do i7 920 build because when he made the post, he bought the 4gb ram, p55 mobo and other stuff already...

he can get i5 750 instead of 860..cuz hes mainly gaming..

umm no its 3ms its a great monitor, i should know i have it ,and its not expensive if your willing to get something good and yes i know he cant do 920 i was just saying what i would have reccomended him from the beginning to take full adavantage of his budget and get the best
Score
November 10, 2009 4:38:54 AM

darksupreme said:
umm no its 3ms its a great monitor, i should know i have it ,and its not expensive if your willing to get something good and yes i know he cant do 920 i was just saying what i would have reccomended him from the beginning to take full adavantage of his budget and get the best

you're wrong, it' 3ms GTG not BTB. that means around 15ms BTB (which is what most monitors are measured at)...that's pretty slow...it's 2009, have to get lower than 8ms btb..i mean that was the standard for gaming like two years ago...
Score
November 10, 2009 5:19:07 AM

overshocks said:
you're wrong, it' 3ms GTG not BTB. that means around 15ms BTB (which is what most monitors are measured at)...that's pretty slow...it's 2009, have to get lower than 8ms btb..i mean that was the standard for gaming like two years ago...

Yeah, I don't want that super slow monitor that darksurpreme has. :lol: 
Score
November 10, 2009 6:44:55 AM

Ok for the CPU cooler.. it looks way hard to install.. so I'm considering the one you suggested overshocks.
Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler

Just let me know if it will fit in my Antec 900 case... I've read two reviews saying they had trouble with it fitting in an Antec 1200 case... so.... someone let me know, if it fits, im ordering it ASAP... it looks easy to install... haha.
Score
November 10, 2009 12:06:28 PM

Kasceis said:
Ok for the CPU cooler.. it looks way hard to install.. so I'm considering the one you suggested overshocks.
Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler

Just let me know if it will fit in my Antec 900 case... I've read two reviews saying they had trouble with it fitting in an Antec 1200 case... so.... someone let me know, if it fits, im ordering it ASAP... it looks easy to install... haha.

i think it'll fit...anyone else?
http://minidriven.com/GreenMachine/GM2H50Antec900Rockin...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1441432
Score
November 10, 2009 12:37:59 PM

The noctua uh12 is an amazing cooler.
@ stock my temps are just under 30, and at load i havent broken 50 yet.
Its really really quiet too. And it comes with 2 funs for a push pull set up. All in all a great cooler. I would buy it again. Comes with some of the best thermal paste you can get too.

BTW if you read the instructions installation is a breeze
Score
November 10, 2009 2:49:15 PM

overshocks said:

I normally suggest OEM drives for regular DVD burners, but it doesn't make sense for Blu Ray drives. The retail versions of Blu Ray drives come with software to allow Blu Ray playback, OEM drives do not. OEM Blu Ray drives end up being more expensive because you have to buy the playback software separate.

Here's the retail version of the above LG drive. It only costs $20 more.

LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Retail $129.99
Score
November 10, 2009 3:40:22 PM

Yeah shortstuff, I'm getting the retail version for the software for blurays. Still undecided on the CPU cooler.. (why is the HARDEST thing to pick in my build the CPU cooler??), its giving me a headache.. I just want something easy to install and guaranted to work with good temps. I'll hold off on placing the order until tonight, so people can post their suggestions.
Score
November 10, 2009 6:31:21 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I normally suggest OEM drives for regular DVD burners, but it doesn't make sense for Blu Ray drives. The retail versions of Blu Ray drives come with software to allow Blu Ray playback, OEM drives do not. OEM Blu Ray drives end up being more expensive because you have to buy the playback software separate.

Here's the retail version of the above LG drive. It only costs $20 more.

LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Retail $129.99

I agree, but there's something call Google and it'll save what 20 dollars?
Score
November 10, 2009 7:27:52 PM

sucks the cpu has an alienated socket from what im used to , it it was 1366 i could give you the best cpu coolers right off the bat . and idk but my monitor works fine but i bought from frys not newegg so maybe its a diff model
Score
November 10, 2009 8:00:08 PM

ohh and the monitor isnt a 15ms quit trying to piss me off over , its about 6-7 ms give or take
Score
November 10, 2009 8:21:20 PM

darksupreme said:
ohh and the monitor isnt a 15ms quit trying to piss me off over , its about 6-7 ms give or take

buddy..you need to quiet down..as you are misleading..

3ms GTG is about 15ms BTB, like I've mentioned before. And by the way it could even be 20ms+ BTB depending on the company/brand, because there's no standard in measuring GTG. Also, again like I've said before most monitors are measured in BTB. Get your facts straight.

Prove me otherwise.
Score
November 10, 2009 8:35:16 PM

FWIW, my wife's computer does VERY nicely playing Blu-Ray movies with no skipping or freezing unless the rental disc is borked up badly. She has a Lite-On Blu-Ray player, core i7-920 OC to 3.5, ATI HD4870 512MB card, and we got a spectacular deal on a 24" NEC LCD display for $150 (it retails for $389 and the guy was moving and couldn't take it with him).

It is perfect for watching movies in bed. The bed is in her office, we lay about 8 feet from the screen and it's about the same as watching DVD movies in the living room on a 32" CRT 12 feet out.

Spend more on the display. Consider the 920 with the 1366 socket. It will give you the option for the Core i9 CPU when it becomes available. 1366 mobos are a little better IMHO, more options, more flexibility.
Score
November 10, 2009 8:39:59 PM

occupant said:
FWIW, my wife's computer does VERY nicely playing Blu-Ray movies with no skipping or freezing unless the rental disc is borked up badly. She has a Lite-On Blu-Ray player, core i7-920 OC to 3.5, ATI HD4870 512MB card, and we got a spectacular deal on a 24" NEC LCD display for $150 (it retails for $389 and the guy was moving and couldn't take it with him).

It is perfect for watching movies in bed. The bed is in her office, we lay about 8 feet from the screen and it's about the same as watching DVD movies in the living room on a 32" CRT 12 feet out.

Spend more on the display. Consider the 920 with the 1366 socket. It will give you the option for the Core i9 CPU when it becomes available. 1366 mobos are a little better IMHO, more options, more flexibility.

He said:

"SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. Watch Blurays. Internet surfing."

What don't you get? 860 is overkill already, never mind 920..
he doesn't need i9 as far as his needs and it's going to be probably 1000+ when it comes out, an i5 750 will do him good.
Score
November 10, 2009 8:42:06 PM

exactly you have no idea if its really 15btb most people try and measure 2gtg = 5 btb your just saying a random number that you think may apply to my monitor
Score
November 10, 2009 8:43:37 PM

darksupreme said:
exactly you have no idea if its really 15btb most people try and measure 2gtg = 5 btb your just saying a random number that you think may apply to my monitor

again..you don't get it, you're wrong now stop misleading people

buddy..you need to quiet down..as you are misleading..

3ms GTG is about 15ms BTB, like I've mentioned before. And by the way it could even be 20ms+ BTB depending on the company/brand, because there's no standard in measuring GTG. Also, again like I've said before most monitors are measured in BTB. Get your facts straight.

Prove me otherwise. <-if you can't do this, then stay quiet

got anything constructive to say? i thought so.
Score
November 10, 2009 8:47:02 PM

if theres no standar measuring tool than how are u coming up with that number and check the reviews its a good monitor ( no ghosting etc. whatsoever ) i should know i have it . and no ones misleading your just trying to have people go off your estimations
Score
!