Sign in with
Your question

Vertex3 on SATA2 question

Last response: in Storage

What kind of boost will I see with Vertex3 (on SATA2) vs. a traditional HDD?

Total: 7 votes (2 blank votes)

• Jaw-dropping increase
  • 0 %
  • Major increase
  • 100 %
  • Minor increase
  • 0 %
  • No increase
  • 0 %
October 4, 2011 3:35:35 PM

Hey folks,

My next project is to upgrade my OS drive to an SSD, likely a Vertex3.

Only problem is my MOBO doesn't support SATAIII (DAMMIT!). If I were to leave that upgrade for a later date, would I still see a substantial speed increase over a traditional HDD? I ask because there is a wicked deal for a 60gb Vertex3 right now.

On a side note, why is it seemingly impossible to find a (1156 intel) mobo that supports USB3 + PCIx16 + SATA3? I was able to find only one from ASUS, and then was saddened to read that it only supports ONE of these at a given time. Sigh...

help!

More about : vertex3 sata2 question

a b G Storage
October 4, 2011 3:46:48 PM

Yes you will see a substantial increase. The vertex 3 may top out reads around 500MB Reads but due to your limit you will get 300MB/sec which is still much faster than a traditional HDD. Traditional HDD's usually top out around 100- maybe 200MB/s burst, but cannot sustain that speed like the SSD can.

I currently use the Vertex 2 and man, was it ever an awesome upgrade. Responsiveness, opening files, are much much quicker.

Not to mention the latency on SSD's is below 1MS versus HDD's which have a seek access time of around 7-10ms.

I say if you have the money, and are willing to upgrade to it, go ahead.
October 4, 2011 3:52:51 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Yes you will see a substantial increase. The vertex 3 may top out reads around 500MB Reads but due to your limit you will get 300MB/sec which is still much faster than a traditional HDD. Traditional HDD's usually top out around 100- maybe 200MB/s burst, but cannot sustain that speed like the SSD can.

I currently use the Vertex 2 and man, was it ever an awesome upgrade. Responsiveness, opening files, are much much quicker.

Not to mention the latency on SSD's is below 1MS versus HDD's which have a seek access time of around 7-10ms.

I say if you have the money, and are willing to upgrade to it, go ahead.

Awesome reply! Thanks Chainzsaw
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
October 4, 2011 4:06:27 PM

How "amazing" the increase is to a particular person is very subjective. What's "jaw-dropping" to one person is "meh" to another.

The best I can do is to show you a video I made comparing boot and program startup times on my Intel SSD vs. the WD Green drive that it replaced: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTHX0MqVMss
October 4, 2011 4:46:13 PM

Also,

I have an OEM version of Windows 7 that I would "fresh" install on the SSD.

Would it pose problems that another OS install would still be present on my HDD? I assume there is no way to do a clean wipe of the OS on this HDD until I reformat that drive. Am I correct?

BTW I have read this guide: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
a b G Storage
October 4, 2011 4:56:24 PM

It won't pose a problem.

But when you go to setup your OS on your SSD, make sure to disconnect every other HDD first. This just makes sure you installing it to the correct drive...i've done this accidentally myself - installing the OS on the HDD instead of the SSD. lol.

Basically you can make your old OS HDD as a slave once you have your SSD setup, and pull any information you need off of it.
October 4, 2011 5:02:08 PM

Why pay extra for a vertex3 if you are limited by sata 2? I'd go for vertex 2 and save the money for the next build.
October 4, 2011 5:02:58 PM

lol, that would suck. Thanks Chain.

So install on the SDD, AND make sure it is primary boot drive obviously.
Do i have to do anything specifically to the HDD to make it a slave, or does it become one by default?

Are there any guides to installing Win7 on a new SSD or is it a straightforward process?
October 4, 2011 5:18:49 PM

Mvx15n said:
Why pay extra for a vertex3 if you are limited by sata 2? I'd go for vertex 2 and save the money for the next build.

Bah, i guess because I want to make sure it will still be valuable when i upgrade my mobo.
a b G Storage
October 4, 2011 5:54:26 PM

Alright maybe start a new thread once/if you get your new SSD. We don't want this one getting out of hand and off topic :) 
a c 353 G Storage
October 4, 2011 5:57:19 PM

(1) There is very little difference in running a Sata III SSD on a SATA II port. While the Sata III on sata III will significantly improve Sequencial Read /writes, This is the least important metric for a OS + program drive. There is little differnce operating on sata II vs Sata III for the More important 4k small file random read /writes which are by far MORE important. Bottom line No Biggy operating on SATA II - still recommend getting SATA III SSD If pricing is great.

(2) Have SSDs in all my systems, would not even consider going back to a HDD for OS + Programs. That said the SSD will significanly improv boot and program load times. But once You have loaded a porgram say Excell with a spreadsheet (or loaded a game) do NOT expect to see much performance increase - you are more at the mercy of the CPU/memory.

3) Currently I look at reliabilty, least prossible compatability problems, and cost and forget benchmarks for the newer sata II / III SSDs.

Added: On installation. As others said, disconnect HDD, connect SSD, Install windows 7, set boot priorty to SSD in Bios . You will be able to daul boot to the SSD or the HDD by hitting the Key that brings up the boot menu (F12 on my gigabyte MB and F11 on My Asrock MB. After a couple of weeks and you are happy with win 7 installation on SSD then delete win7 on HDD. NOTE: using the Boot menu does NOT change boot priority and which drive you boot to will be your "C" drive. You will still be able to access the other drive.
!