Sign in with
Your question

About to buy a HD4870, Am I making the right choice?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2009 6:58:46 PM

I'm about to buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

The total comes out to about $166.00.

Is this a good choice? Is XFX a good company? Has anyone had any issues claiming their warranty?

a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 7:13:19 PM

XFX provide one of the best warranties in the industry, as it is double lifetime, meaning the first owner, and the second owner of the card are both covered by a lifetime warranty, increasing resale value. I have had to RMA my 4870x2, and it was a pretty painless process.

I recommend XFX to anyone who asks, heh.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 8:28:50 PM

tuesday0180 said:
I'm about to buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

The total comes out to about $166.00.

Is this a good choice? Is XFX a good company? Has anyone had any issues claiming their warranty?

Any reason why you are looking at a 4 series card and not a 5 series with DX11 ? The XFX 5770 is anly about $10 more.

Mactronix
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2009 3:44:21 AM

mactronix said:
Any reason why you are looking at a 4 series card and not a 5 series with DX11 ? The XFX 5770 is anly about $10 more.

Mactronix

Dont worry about Dx11 OP unless you are not willing to upgrade again by early 2011. No really important games except bioshock 2 and crysis 2 will utilize dx11for 2010, so yea have funw ith your 4870.

By 2011 you can probably buy a 5870 equivalent for 250 bucks.

I myself have a high clock msi 4890 (950/1100) and it plays games great, who cares about fermi vs 5000 series when you dont need either!
m
l
November 17, 2009 4:09:06 AM

I got a HD 4870 1GB (Sapphire though) a few months ago and I don't regret it. Its a great card. Plays everything I throw at it without flinching at all. Love it.

Get it. DX11 is nice but wont be useful till probably 2011 as people have said.
m
l
November 17, 2009 5:21:20 AM

Okay I just purchased it. I just don't know why this XFX version 1 gig was significantly lower in price vs the the ones from different companies that only have 512 meg. Does newegg price their products in order to move inventory? Or is this XFX version of lesser quality than say POwercolor, ASUS and Sapphire?

m
l
November 17, 2009 5:28:46 AM

Okay this is what I'm talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The XFX is significantly lesser money than the other brands using the same chip set. It's also retail boxed and unopened, whereas the other brands are "Open box" and come with lesser retail warranties.

To top it off, the other brands are only 512megabyte vs the 1 gig memory on the XFX.

So does the XFX brand cost less when it's 1) brand new retail boxed and 2) 1gig instead of 512memory?

This causes some concern for me.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 5:32:49 AM

XFX is a good name, that alone isn't for concern.

As for the pricing, it could be that the cost to the retailers of the MSI is lower, as the 1gb versions are more popular, and they might be sitting on 512mb stock that they purchased at too high a price to sell competatively right now.
m
l
November 17, 2009 5:45:49 AM

JofaMang said:
XFX is a good name, that alone isn't for concern.

As for the pricing, it could be that the cost to the retailers of the MSI is lower, as the 1gb versions are more popular, and they might be sitting on 512mb stock that they purchased at too high a price to sell competatively right now.

Sorry I meant XFX. Is XFX good?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 5:48:57 AM

Don't get too hung up on analysing the price differences, as there are more variables at play than just the quality of the brand.

XFX is good. Their double lifetime warranties are awesome for resale value (first and second owners of card both get lifetime warranties) and I had no complaints when I RMA'd my 4870x2 the first time.
m
l
November 17, 2009 6:28:07 AM

JofaMang said:
Don't get too hung up on analysing the price differences, as there are more variables at play than just the quality of the brand.

XFX is good. Their double lifetime warranties are awesome for resale value (first and second owners of card both get lifetime warranties) and I had no complaints when I RMA'd my 4870x2 the first time.

Hey I'm wondering. Why did you rma the XFX's? Did they burn out or something? I'm just a bit paranoid since I don't spend much on computer gaming so even a $160.00 video card is big time for me.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 6:56:22 AM

impaledmango said:
Dont worry about Dx11 OP unless you are not willing to upgrade again by early 2011. No really important games except bioshock 2 and crysis 2 will utilize dx11for 2010, so yea have funw ith your 4870.

By 2011 you can probably buy a 5870 equivalent for 250 bucks.

I myself have a high clock msi 4890 (950/1100) and it plays games great, who cares about fermi vs 5000 series when you dont need either!

@ tuesday0180
Sorry i wasn't about to reply to this when it was posted but its done now, you went and bought the inferior card, The DX11 ability is kinda like the icing on the cake really. Im amased there are so many people on this forum that seem to thing DX11 is just relevant to games.

Mactronix :( 
m
l
November 17, 2009 7:07:42 AM

mactronix said:
@ tuesday0180
Sorry i wasn't about to reply to this when it was posted but its done now, you went and bought the inferior card, The DX11 ability is kinda like the icing on the cake really. Im amased there are so many people on this forum that seem to thing DX11 is just relevant to games.

Mactronix :( 

I'm pretty sure the OP is only going to be playing games (i only really play games on my pc and maybe photoshop and word/excel as well as obviouls internet browse). 4870 is a better performing card in just about every dx10 benchmark. Maybe in one year when dx11 is mainstream I'd recommend buying a dx11 card, but for now you really dont need one (unless you are buying high end cards, just because 5800 series is cheaper and better then anything out there, dx11 is pretty useless imo right now). And if inferior you mean hotter and more power hungry, I guess it's worth the 10% performace. Anways when dx11 games become mainstream a 5770 would be REALLY underpowered, redgardless of dx11, maybe if you xfire them, but that's a different story. And buy that time OP can probably buy a cheaper much more better performing card.

In other words, have fun with the 4870!

P.S. sorry for bad spelling it's 4am... no sleep... huge essay due..
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 7:25:16 AM

impaledmango said:
I'm pretty sure the OP is only going to be playing games (i only really play games on my pc and maybe photoshop and word/excel as well as obviouls internet browse). 4870 is a better performing card in just about every dx10 benchmark. Maybe in one year when dx11 is mainstream I'd recommend buying a dx11 card, but for now you really dont need one (unless you are buying high end cards, just because 5800 series is cheaper and better then anything out there, dx11 is pretty useless imo right now). And if inferior you mean hotter and more power hungry, I guess it's worth the 10% performace. Anways when dx11 games become mainstream a 5770 would be REALLY underpowered, redgardless of dx11, maybe if you xfire them, but that's a different story. And buy that time OP can probably buy a cheaper much more better performing card.

At this point its pretty moot to bother telling you how wrong you are, but just FYI there are a dozen or so DX11 games that i know off and i havent been looking all that hard, the latest of then is set for release in March next year.
Your making assumptions on performance with out even asking what the OP is looking at playing or even what the rest of the PC consists of and what monitor size or Res the OP plays at.
The 5770 will improve for driver updates, as every card by any maker will do and so will end up being better than the 4870 which it is very much on a par with now and not anywhere like 10% worse as you claim.
Anyhow you sound like you have made your mind up on the subject while being poorly educated on it so i wont waste my time on it now especially as the OP has already puchased a card.

Mactronix
m
l
November 17, 2009 11:05:57 AM

mactronix said:
At this point its pretty moot to bother telling you how wrong you are, but just FYI there are a dozen or so DX11 games that i know off and i havent been looking all that hard, the latest of then is set for release in March next year.
Your making assumptions on performance with out even asking what the OP is looking at playing or even what the rest of the PC consists of and what monitor size or Res the OP plays at.
The 5770 will improve for driver updates, as every card by any maker will do and so will end up being better than the 4870 which it is very much on a par with now and not anywhere like 10% worse as you claim.
Anyhow you sound like you have made your mind up on the subject while being poorly educated on it so i wont waste my time on it now especially as the OP has already puchased a card.

Mactronix

I know about maybe 8? dx11 games, I only care for two (bioshock 2 and bad company 2). Maybe you should've asked the OP what is monitor res is and what he is doing on his PC, as well as his other specs. You seem pretty moot yourself, so I'm not gonna bothered responding to your bias opinion (im not bashing dx11, I'm saying it pretty useless now in the midrange cards when the performance aint better then pre-gen midrange) on the subject of dx11. Maybe in a year when prices drop nvidia releases their cards and dx11 even matter. I wont be missingout playing diablo 2, star craft 2, mass effect 2, swtor C&C 4, alpha protocol, borderlands, AC 2 and a whole entire list of games. And it's not like I cant play Bad company 2, crysis 2 or Bioshock, I'm just missing out on very ultra high :sarcastic: 
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 11:25:47 AM

impaledmango said:
I know about maybe 8? dx11 games, I only care for two (bioshock 2 and bad company 2). Maybe you should've asked the OP what is monitor res is and what he is doing on his PC, as well as his other specs. You seem pretty moot yourself, so I'm not gonna bothered responding to your bias opinion (im not bashing dx11, I'm saying it pretty useless now in the midrange cards when the performance aint better then pre-gen midrange) on the subject of dx11. Maybe in a year when prices drop nvidia releases their cards and dx11 even matter. I wont be missingout playing diablo 2, star craft 2, mass effect 2, swtor C&C 4, alpha protocol, borderlands, AC 2 and a whole entire list of games. And it's not like I cant play Bad company 2, crysis 2 or Bioshock, I'm just missing out on very ultra high :sarcastic: 

Why should i have asked about the system, it wasnt me who was recomending hardware now was it ? Your not directly bashing DX11 granted but what you are doing is dismissing it out af hand as something that only matters when talking about game engines and if they use it or not. DX11 is about much more than that.

Mactronix
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 12:12:26 PM

I'm not trying to be a snot, but what ARE the other features of DX11 aside from game engines?
m
l
!