TiVo Institutes 1 Year Service Contracts

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 25, 2005 1:09:35 AM

TiVo Institutes 1 Year Service Contracts
By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
September 23, 2005, 2:56 PM
A recent change made to TiVo's customer agreement has opened up the
door to allow the company to institute service contracts. Although it
is unclear as to why the change has been made, TiVo has recently
endeavored to market the DVR service to new customers and contracts
would keep those users from canceling.

According to the new service agreement, any TiVo activated after
September 6 will require a 12-month commitment. Those who cancel
before the end of their contract, or have their contracts terminated
by TiVo, will be forced to pay a $150 early termination fee.

full story at:
<http://www.betanews.com/article/TiVo_Institutes_1_Year_...;
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 12:06:46 PM

Scott Peterson wrote:

> TiVo Institutes 1 Year Service Contracts
> By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
> September 23, 2005, 2:56 PM
> A recent change made to TiVo's customer agreement has opened up the
> door to allow the company to institute service contracts. Although it
> is unclear as to why the change has been made, TiVo has recently
> endeavored to market the DVR service to new customers and contracts
> would keep those users from canceling.
>
> According to the new service agreement, any TiVo activated after
> September 6 will require a 12-month commitment. Those who cancel
> before the end of their contract, or have their contracts terminated
> by TiVo, will be forced to pay a $150 early termination fee.
>
> full story at:
> <http://www.betanews.com/article/TiVo_Institutes_1_Year_...;

Isn't this just applicable to units w/ the $150 rebate? Seems to me
it's just Tivo requiring 1 yr of service in order for you to keep your
rebate. Seems reasonable to me.

Randy S.
September 25, 2005 4:53:26 PM

"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D h63sm$eg5c$1@usenet.osg.ufl.edu...
> Scott Peterson wrote:
>>
>> TiVo Institutes 1 Year Service Contracts
>> By Ed Oswald, BetaNews September 23, 2005, 2:56 PM
>> A recent change made to TiVo's customer agreement has opened up the
>> door to allow the company to institute service contracts. Although it
>> is unclear as to why the change has been made, TiVo has recently
>> endeavored to market the DVR service to new customers and contracts
>> would keep those users from canceling.
>>
>> According to the new service agreement, any TiVo activated after
>> September 6 will require a 12-month commitment. Those who cancel
>> before the end of their contract, or have their contracts terminated
>> by TiVo, will be forced to pay a $150 early termination fee.
>>
>> full story at:
>> <http://www.betanews.com/article/TiVo_Institutes_1_Year_...;
>
> Isn't this just applicable to units w/ the $150 rebate? Seems to me it's
> just Tivo requiring 1 yr of service in order for you to keep your rebate.
> Seems reasonable to me.
>
> Randy S.

I hate the cell phone provider business model.
September 25, 2005 4:56:41 PM

In article <11jc8ojknbqh11b@news.supernews.com>,
Scott Peterson <scottp4.removethistoreply@mindspring.com> wrote:

> TiVo Institutes 1 Year Service Contracts
> By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
> September 23, 2005, 2:56 PM
> A recent change made to TiVo's customer agreement has opened up the
> door to allow the company to institute service contracts. Although it
> is unclear as to why the change has been made, TiVo has recently
> endeavored to market the DVR service to new customers and contracts
> would keep those users from canceling.
>
> According to the new service agreement, any TiVo activated after
> September 6 will require a 12-month commitment. Those who cancel
> before the end of their contract, or have their contracts terminated
> by TiVo, will be forced to pay a $150 early termination fee.
>
> full story at:
> <http://www.betanews.com/article/TiVo_Institutes_1_Year_...
> 501776>

Makes sense if the units are now free or only $50 after rebate
September 25, 2005 6:04:54 PM

Scott Peterson <scottp4.removethistoreply@mindspring.com> wrote in

> TiVo Institutes 1 Year Service Contracts

Last month called, they want their story back.