Closed

could not reconnect to network drive but drives are all th..

September 2, 2004 5:10:04 PM

I have another weird issue and this may or may not be the appropriate
group to discuss it. If so, let me know & I'll direct my inquiry
elsewhere.

Anyway, I have an XP user that boots up and logs on. Once everything
loads, she gets a message that, "Could not reconnect all network drives".

But when we check, all the drives that she is supposed to be connected
to are present. So, the question is, how do I find out what drive it
"thinks" it's supposed to be connecting to and tell it to stop trying?

Thanks!
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 12:06:29 AM

Don't know if this will help but list the drives that show in Windows
Explorer and also those that show in Windows Explorer/Tools/Disconnect
Network Drives. If they are not the same you might try to disconnect the
one in Disconnect that is not listed in Explorer.

Read these articles to see if they help.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030626.shtml &
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article....

When I searched MS KB on this error it only takes me to the KB article which
lists all the fixes included in SP2. When I scroll down the list I can't
see the exact error message.

It really is a shame that MS doesn't list ALL error messages in their KB for
an OS and at least give a message as to what the error message means even if
there isn't a fix available.

"Doug Starkey" <doug_starkey@pecandeluxe.com> wrote in message
news:D oug_starkey-214803.13100402092004@msnews.microsoft.com...
> I have another weird issue and this may or may not be the appropriate
> group to discuss it. If so, let me know & I'll direct my inquiry
> elsewhere.
>
> Anyway, I have an XP user that boots up and logs on. Once everything
> loads, she gets a message that, "Could not reconnect all network drives".
>
> But when we check, all the drives that she is supposed to be connected
> to are present. So, the question is, how do I find out what drive it
> "thinks" it's supposed to be connecting to and tell it to stop trying?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 3:23:19 PM

In article <10jfdc7odgisr30@corp.supernews.com>,
"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote:

> Don't know if this will help but list the drives that show in Windows
> Explorer and also those that show in Windows Explorer/Tools/Disconnect
> Network Drives. If they are not the same you might try to disconnect the
> one in Disconnect that is not listed in Explorer.
>
> Read these articles to see if they help.
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030626.shtml &
> http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article....

Both of these articles deal with XP Home; and the solution is to upgrade
to XP Proffessional. I'm already using XP Professional. :-( I realize
that the machine is probably trying to connect to a drive that is no
longer there. But if the drive is no longer there, how can I tell it to
stop looking for it?

> When I searched MS KB on this error it only takes me to the KB article which
> lists all the fixes included in SP2. When I scroll down the list I can't
> see the exact error message.
>
> It really is a shame that MS doesn't list ALL error messages in their KB for
> an OS and at least give a message as to what the error message means even if
> there isn't a fix available.

Amen to that, brother! (or "sister", as the case may be)

> "Doug Starkey" <doug_starkey@pecandeluxe.com> wrote in message
> news:D oug_starkey-214803.13100402092004@msnews.microsoft.com...
> > I have another weird issue and this may or may not be the appropriate
> > group to discuss it. If so, let me know & I'll direct my inquiry
> > elsewhere.
> >
> > Anyway, I have an XP user that boots up and logs on. Once everything
> > loads, she gets a message that, "Could not reconnect all network drives".
> >
> > But when we check, all the drives that she is supposed to be connected
> > to are present. So, the question is, how do I find out what drive it
> > "thinks" it's supposed to be connecting to and tell it to stop trying?
> >
> > Thanks!
September 11, 2004 2:00:56 AM

One more thing to try. I have had a drive share problem on my network
before. Somehow two drives (a physical USB Smart Media reader and a
networked drive shared the same drive letter. How, I don't know but it did
happen.) If you are mapped to any drives on the computer unmap them all.
Reboot the computer and see if any "new drives" appear. If this happens
remap the networked drives to different drive letters.

"Doug Starkey" <doug_starkey@pecandeluxe.com> wrote in message
news:D oug_starkey-20ACB6.11231807092004@msnews.microsoft.com...
> In article <10jfdc7odgisr30@corp.supernews.com>,
> "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't know if this will help but list the drives that show in Windows
> > Explorer and also those that show in Windows Explorer/Tools/Disconnect
> > Network Drives. If they are not the same you might try to disconnect
the
> > one in Disconnect that is not listed in Explorer.
> >
> > Read these articles to see if they help.
> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030626.shtml &
> > http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article....
>
> Both of these articles deal with XP Home; and the solution is to upgrade
> to XP Proffessional. I'm already using XP Professional. :-( I realize
> that the machine is probably trying to connect to a drive that is no
> longer there. But if the drive is no longer there, how can I tell it to
> stop looking for it?
>
> > When I searched MS KB on this error it only takes me to the KB article
which
> > lists all the fixes included in SP2. When I scroll down the list I
can't
> > see the exact error message.
> >
> > It really is a shame that MS doesn't list ALL error messages in their KB
for
> > an OS and at least give a message as to what the error message means
even if
> > there isn't a fix available.
>
> Amen to that, brother! (or "sister", as the case may be)
>

> > "Doug Starkey" <doug_starkey@pecandeluxe.com> wrote in message
> > news:D oug_starkey-214803.13100402092004@msnews.microsoft.com...
> > > I have another weird issue and this may or may not be the appropriate
> > > group to discuss it. If so, let me know & I'll direct my inquiry
> > > elsewhere.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I have an XP user that boots up and logs on. Once everything
> > > loads, she gets a message that, "Could not reconnect all network
drives".

> > > But when we check, all the drives that she is supposed to be connected
> > > to are present. So, the question is, how do I find out what drive it
> > > "thinks" it's supposed to be connecting to and tell it to stop trying?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
Anonymous
December 17, 2009 10:51:16 AM

I'm guessing you are using a login script to map the drives. I am having a similar problem and I think it is because windows is trying to reconnect to the share before the script is run. So you will get an error that it could not reconnect then it runs the script which disconnects the drive and reconnects it properly. The question is how do you get the script to run earlier in the start up order.......
January 28, 2011 4:48:48 PM

I think I've found a workaround for this issue. If you disconnect the mapped drives from My Computer, log off and back on again (I have persistence enabled) it makes the error balloon stop popping up.
January 29, 2011 12:19:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!