Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please explain

Last response: in Motherboards
May 11, 2010 8:26:06 PM

What are the telltale signs of a D.O.A. motherboard??I have an Asus ws P6T6 Revolution.Lights come on everything else seems fine I just get nothing on my monitor.It comes on for a sec but then it goes back off(some kind if hibenation mode)It has always done this.Monitor has always worked fine.I have spent 2 days trouble shooting and I cant get bios going.

More about : explain

a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2010 8:45:51 PM

Is this a fresh build? Has it ever worked?

20-pin power connector all the way in? 8 pin power all the way in? RAM, Video Card?

Sounds like it could be the Video Card. I have seen them be DOA. Brand?

Do you have another computer, or access to a friends to check the VC?
m
l
May 11, 2010 8:53:43 PM

foscooter said:
Is this a fresh build? Has it ever worked?

20-pin power connector all the way in? 8 pin power all the way in? RAM, Video Card?

Sounds like it could be the Video Card. I have seen them be DOA. Brand?

Do you have another computer, or access to a friends to check the VC?

everything is connected correctly,i have checked and re-checked,i am currently using this computer, i have taken all components out of my new build and checked them through this dell mid tower.Everything powers up,fans come on,opty drives come on,all LEDs are lit up,etc....
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2010 8:59:30 PM

Looks like a sweet board. If you don't mind me asking some questions...

Does the mobo display any POST codes?
Does the PC speaker beep when powered up?
If you pull out the memory, does the PC speaker beep?
Have you tried unplugging all optical drives, hard drives, pci cards, and running only one RAM module, CPU, and video only to see what it does?
Please tell us what troubleshooting steps you have already taken.

Also, once something similar happened to me and I found that the CPU's front side bus (FSB) was not compatible with the mobo.

If you have done most of this and have gotten no indication that the motherboard is alive in there then it might be DOA, but it seems a little too early to tell without going into more detail about the troubleshooting you did.
m
l
May 11, 2010 9:10:00 PM

my mobo didnt even come with a beep speaker.How nice.Just ordered one though.I hope I dont have to purchase another mobo but if I do,I am gonna get the Asus Maximus,but like I said I hope this works.
m
l
May 11, 2010 9:35:48 PM

Either the mobo or the case should have come with a PC speaker. Did your mobo come with that nifty add-on mini card that displays POST codes and has the power and reset buttons?
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:58:27 PM

Sm1th said:
Either the mobo or the case should have come with a PC speaker. Did your mobo come with that nifty add-on mini card that displays POST codes and has the power and reset buttons?

the diagnostics card?? what exactly does that thing do???
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:59:39 PM

should it beep??? well, it is plugged in. I can see numbers going up and down on it.
m
l

Best solution

May 12, 2010 5:36:53 PM

No, the diagnostics card won't beep, BUT the numbers/letters that it displays are POST codes defined in the back of your mobo manual. For example, code FF (fully functional). When you power up the system the the numbers/letters will eventually stop cycling and stop on FF. If it hangs on on some other number/letter combination, look it up to see what the problem is.
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2010 6:13:47 PM

Sounds bad, but you're gonna havta give up soon, in order to return it. IMHO, DOA mobo.
m
l
May 16, 2010 7:19:10 PM

mobo was dead.Luckily i got a 1 yr warranty.I now know if the usb slots dont work, the mobo is dead. I wonder how long the rma will take???
m
l
June 20, 2010 3:33:18 PM

Best answer selected by seanny.
m
l
!