Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Western digital Hardrive

Last response: in Storage
October 4, 2011 6:57:41 PM

Hello,
Info
I have a 80 gig Western Digital portal USB Hard Drive. Its model number is WD800U017-005.

This hard drive appears to work in some devices but not others.

For example, I have tried my work computer, my home desktop, my laptop, and my g/f laptop/

It works in my laptop, and my work computer. However, it does not work on my dekstop and g/f's laptop..

When it doesn't work the blue light powers up but I cannot fell the hardive vibrate.

I have tried different USB ports, power supplys (When my desktop comes into play), Different cables, and I am stumped..
October 4, 2011 6:59:44 PM

also, on the computers it does not work on it will not show in Device manager, Safely remove a device, Bios Options, or in disk Management.
m
l
October 11, 2011 12:44:23 AM

any help would be appreciated
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2011 2:36:59 AM

Have you checked the BIOS? you say the light comes on but it dose not spin?
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:26:07 PM

Yes and no it does not list it in bios.. My motherboard has the ability to boot from usb devices.. I tested a jump drive to verify and it shows the jump drive but not the hard drive. I also tried 3 different USB Ports and 2 different chords.

Regarding the light:
It is a real old Harddrive by computer standards. It has a blue indicator light on the side that flashes when in use.. Also the harddrives has a slight vibration when it is plugged in (has always done it).. I actually am at work at the moment and it works with this computer, as we speak. However, it didn't work with my home computer last night..

I also installed the latest and greatest lubuntu yesterday to try to get it to work and it did not. So I can rule out windows..

Thank you for taking the time to suggest something. I don't mean to sound like I don't appreciate it.
m
l
October 11, 2011 6:13:42 PM

Can you easily take it out of the External case and put it into your computer at home??

m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
October 12, 2011 7:22:59 AM

Try a USB Y-cable.

A standard USB 2.0 port is current limited to 500mA. A Seagate ST9500325AS drive, for example, requires about 850mA during spinup, and about 400mA thereafter. A Y-cable is therefore sometimes necessary to pick up power from two USB ports.
October 13, 2011 8:55:12 PM

Quote:
Can you easily take it out of the External case and put it into your computer at home??

I would rather not take it apart unless it is an abosulte last resort. I'm not sure of the internal parts and how they are protected after you take off the cover. So, if I take it apart it may die on not just 1 or 2 computers but all.

Quote:
Try a USB Y-cable.

A standard USB 2.0 port is current limited to 500mA. A Seagate ST9500325AS drive, for example, requires about 850mA during spinup, and about 400mA thereafter. A Y-cable is therefore sometimes necessary to pick up power from two USB ports.

I had been suspecting a power problem, but the only thing that throws it off as a solution. Is that it does not explain why I can plug it into my work computer with 1 usb chord and it works though. If this was the reason I would have to use a Y usb chord on this one as well,but since a Y-USB cable probably won't cost more than a few bucks. Ill see if I can locate one and buy it to test.

I also updated the bios to the latest and greatest as well..

A coworker has point out it may be a usb controller. So i was thinking about looking into that.

As always thank you for the ideals.

Btw here is my secifications

EVGA 01G-P3-1370-RX GeForce GTX 460
M2N-E SLI
Athlon 64 X2 5600+
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
October 13, 2011 9:10:05 PM

Not all USB ports are able to satisfy the current demand during spinup. You should hear or feel the drive trying to spin up, though.
m
l
October 13, 2011 11:28:00 PM

Quote:
Not all USB ports are able to satisfy the current demand during spinup. You should hear or feel the drive trying to spin up, though.

Aye, it doesn't make any noises or any vibrations when plugged into my desktop or G/F's Computer. I've literally placed it on my ear and can't sense anything. But it does get the blue indicator light. so I know it is getting at least some power.

Now when it is plugged into the work computer or my laptop. It works perfectly.

I usually don't ask for help often, but i've tried virtually anything I ca do besides taking the harddrive itself apart.
m
l
October 14, 2011 12:14:45 AM

you have tried Diff. USB slots??

the Y-Cable seems the best bet

do you hot plug it when at work? (hot plunging is when you have the computer on when you plug in the HDD just incase i lost you)
what about at home?
m
l
October 14, 2011 4:55:34 PM

Quote:
you have tried Diff. USB slots??

Yes, two in the back and 1 in the front. Also two on the g/fs computer

Quote:
The Y-Cable seems the best bet

It's worth a try. I got paid today and will probably stop @ radio shack on lunch to get one.

*Update*
I located a USB Y Cable. Sadly my local Radio Shack did not have one, nor did my local staples. So i went to New Egg. I will update when I receive it. All togther I paid bout 7 bucks for it.

*Link*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
do you hot plug it when at work?

Actually we turn off computers at work everyday, and I usually just leave it plugged in. (I only unplugg it when I take it home which is not everyday.) But sometimes I do it is very rare but maybe once or twice every 2 or 3 months.

Quote:
what about at home?

I plug it in before turning the computer on.
m
l
October 25, 2011 4:41:20 PM

Best answer selected by Declivever.
m
l
October 25, 2011 4:42:09 PM

I received the y cable and it is working now.. Thank you for the help.
m
l
!