Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I may have a bios virus

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 9, 2012 7:17:36 AM

Okay im basically at my wits end with this.

About two months ago my computer got infected with a very nasty virus that hid all files on my computer and spammed messages saying my hard drive had crashed. It was clearly fake and I knew the files were still there so I tried to run my computer in safe mode and Malware Bytes the hell out of it. But then when i went to tap f8 and the second i get into the options for choosing safemode the keyboard disables.
I thought that was really bizarre. So i managed to deal with it in normal mode ( took a long time ), but i finally managed to get it back to near working order. But the problem is three most notible things.

1. Still cant run in safemode - Keyboard disables.
2. Cant system restore - when i click restore it has a loading symbol and then just does nothing.
3. This is the most worrying part and is why I believe that I may have a bios virus, is that sometimes the computer will randomly shut down - No blue screen, no warning, nothing. Just back screen and then it boots. When it boots im greeted with a black screen and thats it. Nothing else. The computer is turned on but there is no picture on the screen.

Is it possible that my BIOS has been infected and is causing this to happen?

Because when i run any type of normal virus scan (Malware bytes, microsoft essentials, superantispyware, etc etc) It doesnt pick anything up.

And I have no knowledge about if its a motherboard issue or anything like that as i am not very tech savvy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me please?

More about : bios virus

a b 8 Security
May 9, 2012 7:34:35 AM

dbails said:
Okay im basically at my wits end with this.

About two months ago my computer got infected with a very nasty virus that hid all files on my computer and spammed messages saying my hard drive had crashed. It was clearly fake and I knew the files were still there so I tried to run my computer in safe mode and Malware Bytes the hell out of it. But then when i went to tap f8 and the second i get into the options for choosing safemode the keyboard disables.
I thought that was really bizarre. So i managed to deal with it in normal mode ( took a long time ), but i finally managed to get it back to near working order. But the problem is three most notible things.

1. Still cant run in safemode - Keyboard disables.
2. Cant system restore - when i click restore it has a loading symbol and then just does nothing.
3. This is the most worrying part and is why I believe that I may have a bios virus, is that sometimes the computer will randomly shut down - No blue screen, no warning, nothing. Just back screen and then it boots. When it boots im greeted with a black screen and thats it. Nothing else. The computer is turned on but there is no picture on the screen.

Is it possible that my BIOS has been infected and is causing this to happen?

Because when i run any type of normal virus scan (Malware bytes, microsoft essentials, superantispyware, etc etc) It doesnt pick anything up.

And I have no knowledge about if its a motherboard issue or anything like that as i am not very tech savvy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me please?

Read thru this Thread - May find something helpful (last post)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-42305_63_10.html
m
0
l
May 10, 2012 3:46:00 AM

ksiemb said:
Read thru this Thread - May find something helpful (last post)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-42305_63_10.html



Thank you for your reply, i had a read through and I have a feeling what he did may need to be what I did. But I have no idea what Hiren's Boot Disk and Unbuntu is. Should I take it to a computer techy to do this for me?
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
May 10, 2012 7:33:43 AM

dbails said:
Thank you for your reply, i had a read through and I have a feeling what he did may need to be what I did. But I have no idea what Hiren's Boot Disk and Unbuntu is. Should I take it to a computer techy to do this for me?


If you don't know what they are, then I suggest you query friends/associates who may be able to help you - Taking your problem to a tech shop will be rather expensive, IMO. And you do not want to be messing around in BIOS, if your skills are limited.


http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

http://www.ubuntu.com/
m
0
l
Related resources
!