Lifetime Subscriptions

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 25, 2005 7:04:25 PM

I have read that some here have gotten deals from TIVO on monthly
subscriptions by threatening to cancel.

But I have one machine on monthly and am going to switch to lifetime. I
have a second machine on TIVO Basic.

Has anyone gotten a deal on a second lifetime machine?

Thanks

More about : lifetime subscriptions

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 1:17:41 AM

In article <vqqdnWewY7pUn6reRVn-1Q@comcast.com>,
"Art's Antique Radios" <art@myantiqueradio.com> wrote:

> I have read that some here have gotten deals from TIVO on monthly
> subscriptions by threatening to cancel.
>
> But I have one machine on monthly and am going to switch to lifetime. I
> have a second machine on TIVO Basic.
>
> Has anyone gotten a deal on a second lifetime machine?

You won't get if you don't ask.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:49:48 PM

They would not give any discounts on a second lifetime. And I tried every
angle in the book.

I figured it out and at $6.95 / month, it would take 43 months to pay back
the lifetime subscription, which seems like a long time for any piece of
technology.

Does anyone here have lifetime on more than 1 machine in their house? And
if so, why?

"Art's Antique Radios" <art@myantiqueradio.com> wrote in message
>I have read that some here have gotten deals from TIVO on monthly
>subscriptions by threatening to cancel.
>
> But I have one machine on monthly and am going to switch to lifetime. I
> have a second machine on TIVO Basic.
>
> Has anyone gotten a deal on a second lifetime machine?
>
> Thanks

Related resources
September 30, 2005 3:18:30 AM

> They would not give any discounts on a second lifetime. And I tried
> every angle in the book.

I'll ask the question I pondered when you first posted of your plan to try
to negotiate...why did you think they would?

As you found out, if one machine has a subscription (monthly or lifetime),
then additional machines get a discount on the MONTHLY fee. They've never
so much as mentioned that they were thinking about considering a discount
on a second lifetime...and why should they? "I see that your lifetime
subscription is $300...give me two for $450 or I'll...I'll...I'll...PAY
MONTHLY! Furthermore, you say one of your boxes has TiVo Basic, so the
threat to cancel there has even less teeth. "Give me a huge discount on
lifetime or I'll cancel and STILL USE THE SERVICE!"

The only other threat, of course, would be to take one or both of the
boxes back, and despite what Sean may think (oooh, Sean and think in the
same breath, THAT'S rare) they're not about to die and therefore
deperately need every single customer. You basically offered to remain a
customer if and only if they not only subsidized the box (which they do
with the subscription), but also subsidize the subscription just for you
(which they already offered to do on a monthly basis, and on one box have
already given you a free limited version of). Giving up a customer
clearly not making them any money...on the contrary, costing them, would
not be a difficult decision.

In a public sense, all companies will tell you they will do what it takes
to keep you as a customer. However, to use cell phones for example,
giving you a new $400 phone every year when your monthly plan is $19.99 is
obviously something they are NOT willing to do. And if you threaten to
walk, despite what they 'oficially' say as a company, they're perfectly
willing to let you. Turning it back to TiVo (and let me stress that I
speak neither for any cell phone companies, nor for TiVo (which my .sig
makes perfectly clear)), telling them you don't want to pay for lifetime
after paying only $50 on a box where the hard drive alone is worth that is
NOT going to make them drop to their knees and worship you as the
all-powerful customer.

September 30, 2005 3:32:51 AM

On 2005-09-29, Art's Antique Radios <art@myantiqueradio.com> wrote:
> They would not give any discounts on a second lifetime. And I tried every
> angle in the book.
>
> I figured it out and at $6.95 / month, it would take 43 months to pay back
> the lifetime subscription, which seems like a long time for any piece of
> technology.
>
> Does anyone here have lifetime on more than 1 machine in their house? And
> if so, why?

Yes, I have two with lifetime - one SA and one DirecTiVo. I have had the
SA for around 57 months but I've only had the DTiVo for 42 months. One
nice thing about the SA lifetime is it makes the box more valuable when
selling on ebay or giving it away as a gift (we're thinking of giving it
to my sister-in-law and replacing it with a SA2). A lifetime sub makes
the box plug and play. A lifetime sub also reduces one more monthly fee.
In my case, mixing the two types of TiVos (SA vs. DirecTiVo) means I
wouldn't have gotten a reduced rate on the second TiVo but it also means
the DirecTiVo would have cost less than the SA if I went for the monthly
charge.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous

Howard <stile99@email.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>I'll ask the question I pondered when you first posted of your plan to try
>to negotiate...why did you think they would?

Yeah, lifetime is ALREADY a substantial discount for them. They
amortize normal subscriptions over a 4 year lifetime. Lifetime is
only the equivalent of a 2-year monthly payment at full freight, and
about 43 months for the discounted monthly fee. So, either way, it is
less for them. And that's presuming no increase over that 4 year
span.

I don't see why they would want to discount the lifetime more than it
is by default.

-MZ
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
September 29, 2006 4:35:48 AM

We have 2 Tivo Units well actually 3, but two of them have life time Subscriptions a Series 1 and a series 2, and have been going strong with no problem for as long as we have had them....about 5 or 6 years I think maybe 5...We replaced the Series one moving it to one of our guest bedrooms for a newer Series 2 with dual tuners. The charge we got for the monthly fee for the new one is around $12 which is way more than I want to shell out for monthly. I love my Tivo's and will not willingly give them up...but I really prefer the life time subscription to having to deal with monthly billing.
!