No Default Gateway Specified

emma83uk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hello,

I was wondering if you could help. My friends mum has a desktop computer, when trying to get onto the internet yesterday she noticed that the webpage would just say "page temporary unavalible" I went over to take a look and noticed that there isnt a default gateway specified. I get a reply from websites doing the "ping google.com" etc. This machine was another one to what she had due to some mishap, so this one had never been used on the internet before. I can remember it mentioning something about the DCHP and to ask her ISP. Does anyone have any ideas? I dont have much more information at the moment as Im trying to remember this off the top of my head. I cant think of what else to do. :fou:

Many Thanks in advance.

Emma

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Emma, Can she get to other websites? To check her default gateway, do an ipconfig /all and see if one is present then do a route print and post that info here. Also for giggles, check her c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and open the hosts file with notepad. See if there is an entry in there for google. You'll want to check her browser settings too for static proxy info.

emma83uk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Hi.
I did do the ipconfig/all and there definitely isn't one present. Also I did try other websites to, like Msn.com, ask.com, microsoft.com etc. I am not able to get onto her machine at the moment as I'm at work, next time will be sometime this week so its hard for me to check things properly. She has a Ip address and a subnet mask but default gateway is definitely missing. I just dont understand where there isnt a gateway if Automatically obtain.... is turned on!.

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Emma,
Check the properties of the ethernet adapter > tcp/ip in my network places. try binding up some bogus info for IP Mask Gateway and DNS, the make sure there is nothing in the alternate tab. Apply that, then go bak in and tell the card to use DHCP and clear the DNS settings.

If that doesn't work, you might need to reset the tcp/ip stack with netsh See this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

emma83uk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Thanks I will give it a go once I can get round there. I shall let you know the outcome!.

emma83uk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Hello,
Sorry I havent got round to doing anything just yet, I tend to be round there at weekends mainly. I will let you know as soon as I can get there
Thanks

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

:pt1cable: (ping)