Is AMD losing their value or......

bigdog320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
is AMD losing their value or is their price just going down or is newegg just changing prices

why am i asking is because AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz used to be $99 now they went down to $90 :D

and AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz used to be $189 i think last time i check it was, now they went down to $179

what i'm really saying is does AMD-intel keep their value anyways just tell me what y'all think.

Well, they have to lower their prices as yields get better to introduce faster parts, and to drive demand for older and lower yield parts. Supply and demand, supply is the same, demand lowers, so price lowers. If AMD thought demand was strong enough to sell their parts for more they would. Of course they don't want to lower prices too fast and create another 4850/4770 type situation :D.

jennyh

Splendid

The clarkdales are so bad that AMD could raise prices and still be the only decent choice.

The 955/965 BE's are down in price because the 975 BE is imminent. It's not huge stuff by any means but it's an improvement from AMD while intel go sideways at best.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
As a chip gets older the value of it almost always goes down. Demand is probably down hence the price can drop a little to pick up the people that were waiting for a price break. They also drop when a new product is coming out to clear out some of the old inventory before they receive the new. I guess technically the value of those chips are lowering but that is just setting the base line higher.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

They really aren't bad. Are they a bad choice price/perf compared to the other side? Yes.

On the subject of AMD pricing, I said it before and maintain that they sell their CPU's too cheap. I know the idea is market penetration and all the new "lines" that pop up are a very creative way of offloading broken quad cores but why so cheap? They could easily command a higher price particularly on their black edition products if their marketing would approach mediocrity.

^ Yeah they need better marketing all right. I mean, nVidia has been calling the G92 chip new for god knows how long and they sell alot of them because of it. I mean people think "Oh noes!! I have to upgrade my dust old 9800GTX+ to a shiny new GTS250!!" Now that's marketing

:D

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

This post is a win. +1

:lol:

What I think (which pretty much means nothing) is that the microprocessor wing of AMD is highly competitive with Chipzilla in price and performance, following the path established by the graphics wing in their battles with nVidia. It is simply 'baby steps' to reclaim market share and, hopefully, some measure of profitability.

As noted, this clears space at the top end for the Phenom 975 AND (don't forget) the hex-core. I'll guess they have been 'bin-ing' those suckers for awhile ---- and there will be an interesting 'range' of Thubans. They have Istanbuls at 2.8GHz/105w down to 2GHz/40w.

And a C3 Phenom 550BE for $90 is one heck of a deal .... and it looks like there will be C3 Phenom 545s, too.

TRENDING THREADS